585,676 active members*
4,796 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servo Motor Suitability

Yeah, that's a big "1" next to my post count... so go easy on me! Just bought plans for a Joe's hybrid and I'm looking forward to getting started.

Anyway, a couple years back a company I worked for was sending some large format printers to the scrap metal yard and I couldn't let the Servo motors meet their doom under good conscience. I pulled them out and hung on to them... even though at the time I had no idea I'd be building a CNC router later on. I'm sure it's a lost cause, but thought I'd ask for some help on servo motors and whether or not these would even have a chance at working. I had a hard time digging up any information on them online (gotta love Japanese .pdf data sheets). I'm sure I'll probably just wind up using steppers but if these were to work I'd save a little on cash, which I'm not opposed to.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tyler

There not bad little DC servo's, the down side is they lack a rear shaft which can make it awkward to fit an encoder.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    There not bad little DC servo's, the down side is they lack a rear shaft which can make it awkward to fit an encoder.
    Al.
    Thanks for the info. A couple of them do have rear shafts, although I've only got one of each of these:

Tyler

The voltage (24v) is a bit limiting as to selection of drives, but the rear shaft should make it easy to fit an encoder.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I have some servos here clearly labelled "24v" but the drives were about 80v, and they take much more then 24v to get good performance from those motors.

I'm not sure exactly how they rate the "24v" but I believe it might be a continuous average running voltage (at the typical rated 3000 RPM). It should be ok for the drive to exceed 24v on accels etc as long as the average run speed is about the RPM you get at 24v (probably about 3000 to 4000 RPM).