585,712 active members*
3,929 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

It all seems back to front!

Hi to you all, I recently started a new job and in the tool room we have a small Haas TL1, not a production machine but ok for the fiddly little components we make.

I am in at the deep end with this machine, the guy who had the knowledge on this machine has left (I am the replacement) and no one else seems to be able to help me with the problems I am encountering.

It could be something simple but I am not sure. Anyway, the problem.....

The tool post is mounted on the near side of the machine but in order to get G41/G42 and G02/G03 to work correctly, I am having to program the machine as if it was a tool post mounted on the far side of the machine bed.

I am sure it could just be something that needs altering in the settings but I have no experience with Haas Lathes so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Program it the same as you would for a conventional machine. Ignore the front mounted toolpost and pretend you have the tools at the back and upside down. If you run a program in Graphics you will see it runs like any of the other Haas lathes.

Use your 'pretend' toolpost for figuring G02/3 and G41/2.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thanks Geof, its beginning to make sense now, I am guessing the control has been designed with the production machines in mind which have the rear mounted tool post. Its funny, I thought I was cracking up yesterday when trying to program G41 and G02 and getting the opposite of what I was after.

Thanks

The controller on the TL machines is identical to the controllers on all the other Haas lathes. To run a TL program on another Haas lathe normally only needs changes to the tool numbering and sometimes the clearance moves.

It is sometimes difficult to ignore the front toolppost especially when programing at the machine and looking at the part. I still get G02 and G03 reversed occasionally and I have been using the machine for six years.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Here is the Lathe operators manual excerpt for cutter comp
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks