584,833 active members*
5,892 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Syil SIEG X2 Configuration

Syil SIEG X2 Configuration

My buddy has this small mill he bought from Syil America a few years ago. From what I understand there were a couple problems getting it started and I don't know if its even cut anything. We've moved it over to my place and I'm trying to get this thing going for him. I've been running Mach3 and a K2 KG-2525 router for a couple years now so I'm not completely green.

I cant seem to get in contact with or get any information from Syil on this machine. I think its officially a SIEG X2. It doesn't have Sieg or Syil anywhere on the machine but its with out a doubt a Syil controller.

Problem I'm having is getting the ports and pins working. I'm going to open the magic box and see if I can get any pin numbers off the circuit boards but so for I've been able to figure out the X axis and have it moving and in the correct directions even. But the Y and Z axis are still funk and I could spend a long time guessing which pins to use just for the motors, I still need to figure out the switches...

Does anyone have some info, pin out or better yet a config file they could send me?

Here's some pics I took.

Here's a pic of the only manual that came with the machine, its pretty much worthless. But add some beer and its pretty funny reading, the translation is terrible. "Check loose bolts machine could be..." Great, thanks dudes

Heres the site I was able to find that has the machine listed. Please refrain from pointing out that there is a config file available on their support page. Go ahead and try downloading syilamericax2.zip, the file is code 404, lol

The X2 CNC Mini Mill by Syil UK

I've sent them an email asking about the file but have heard nothing.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a night...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...

First off, plug the ribbon cable from the working X axis driver into the Y and Z to see they are working.
    Then you will have narrowed the problem a little.
    Take some pictures of the PCBs please.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    First off, plug the ribbon cable from the working X axis driver into the Y and Z to see they are working.
    Then you will have narrowed the problem a little.
    Take some pictures of the PCBs please.
    I'll try that. I talked with my buddy this morning and he said that all the drivers were working at one point and that he could jog it around just fine. Not sure why wouldn't work all of the sudden. I forgot this morning while on my way to work to snap a picture of the boards. I did get a picture of one of the drivers last night though.

Dude! :cheers: Awesome! Thanks a ton. I hope that works and that there isn't anything wrong with the controller. It's a bit past any kind of warranty but really they haven't ever been used and should just work if they've been working before...

Thanks a lot guys! I'll update the thread once I can toy with the machine some more.

:cheers:

Eric

WOOHOO! :banana:

Thanks for that config file, that did the trick. I would have never guessed those pin numbers, crazy...

X Step/Dir = 4/5
    Y Step/Dir = 17/3
    Z Step/Dir = 8/6

Absolutely nothing like my G540 or any "typical" cnc pin outs you can find on the interwebz.

Limits, Soft Limits, Homing and Steps per inch need some tweaking but so far its alive! BwahHaha! :devious:

:cheers:

Eric

Glad it helped

There is no such thing as a typical pinout.
    The pinout is usually determined as the PCB is being designed.
    Depends on the chips used, mechanical arrangement of plugs etc.
    Often the chips selected depends on what is in stock or readily available.
    Add to that different style opto couplers, if used and it is more like a new jigsaw puzzle.

Main problem is that when layouts are done, the documentation is poor or non-existent.

It is quite possible to use a 'standard' pinout and a particular brand will often stick to the same pin allocation.

That is an engineering management problem.

Often, the only way is to trace the circuit. Documentation begins!!
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Re: Syil SIEG X2 Configuration

I have the same mill with same issue. did you find the correct config for pins if so can you enlighten me, Thanks!