585,931 active members*
5,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Extended Y axis

I'm in the process of milling a new T-6061 bed way for the Y axis along with new 0.75" stainless way rails and spacer for the Z axis main body. The modification will increase Y axis travel from 5" to 9". Please let me know if you would be interested in a kit to add 4 inches to your Y axis and what you think a reasonable price would be. I'll post pictures and tolerances once my upgrade is complete.

I just Extended Mine to over 6 1/2 inchs total Travel with the lathe tailstock riser for Z and 1 inch block on Y bed......and Still could use more...

Show some Pics....Would like to see how its Machined

Whats the cost on something like that.....?
    Taig Owners Club.......
    Google Search. Taig Owners Club

I'd love to know more about this as well. Obviously depending on the price, of course, it's an upgrade many of us would be after.

I look forward to seeing the build and list of components available-

Thanks for sharing-
    Dave
    Dave->..

We would need to see pics and maybe a video of it in action to Estimate a Reasonable Price.....Im sure you Understand
    Taig Owners Club.......

Re: Progress

My metal stock just arrived, but I'm finishing up a release of GCAM, so I probably want start on it till next weekend, will keep you posted.

I am New To this and to the Taig posts here. But I have had my Taig for 4 years and love it. I would like to have an extra 4 inches on the y and X but if you come out with this kit or upgrade I will order it! as for price I am not sure but I would say this, I paid 1650.00 for the cncmill and upgrades off the bat and 350.00 for a 4 in rotary table.

Ok, I'm focusing my attention on this project now that the GCAM release is done. I spoke to Cliff at Taig and he thinks my design should be alright. I am going to model the parts in SolidWorks before I layout the tool paths in GCAM. I'll post again on Monday with my progress, but I expect I will not be done until some time in February since I'm not working on this full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Twingy View Post
    Ok, I'm focusing my attention on this project now that the GCAM release is done. I spoke to Cliff at Taig and he thinks my design should be alright. I am going to model the parts in SolidWorks before I layout the tool paths in GCAM. I'll post again on Monday with my progress, but I expect I will not be done until some time in February since I'm not working on this full time.
    Looking forward to seeing he final product.......
    Taig Owners Club.......

I've finished the first of the 2 V-Block mounts for my Taig so that I can hold the 0.75" T-306 stainless to drill the holes for tapping some threads. I hope to finish the second one tomorrow night. I'm going to try and get the way rails cut and drilled next weekend... will follow-up with a post then.

I have been thinking about doing this. The cheap and easy way would be to simply add some spacers, like a nut with longer bolts.

I am going to this on my machine, I am however going to mill out a ncie bracket so it fits nice and looks like it was designed for it. Gods knows I coudl use the extra length on the Y. I will also make an extender for the spindle housing.

My only problem is that I need to figure out how to the stepper motor. It now will extend out of my enclosure, which is a problem since I run full flood coolant.

I will start making chips this weekend

-Jason

I did this same thing over a year ago.
    I Extended the Y axis 2 inches and the spindle mount 1 inch, both with aluminum blocks I also extended the x axis 2 inches the same way made with the Taig cnc mill.
    Looking Forward to the extra 4 inches
    I will be upgrading to G-Rex G100 motion control and Step Motor Drives or Brush DC Drives and motors. I will need a lot of help with this setup or Transition.

Quote Originally Posted by MLP F1 View Post
    I Extended the Y axis 2 inches and the spindle mount 1 inch, both with aluminum blocks I also extended the x axis 2 inches the same way made with the Taig cnc mill.
    I will be upgrading to G-Rex G100 motion control and Step Motor Drives or Brush DC Drives and motors. I will need a lot of help with this setup or Transition.
    2 inches is amazing! It really is, I'm going to program some files for this weekend and get started. Gotta figure out the whole enclosure thing though, it's so tight on the y-axis. But this should be a very nice upgrade.

I also need to upgrade the motor for a variable speed because it's really really getting annoying to change pulleys over and over again. !

-Jason

I hear ya on that one Jason.
    "I also need to upgrade the motor for a variable speed because it's really really getting annoying to change pulleys over and over again. !"

this is the first controller and steppers that came with mine little over 4 years ago if I remember right.

How about some pics of your setup?

Dave
    Dave->..

Also, does anyone of a diagram on dimension? I need to have the machine up and running these next few days.

Does anyone know what the dimension from hole to hole are when it comes making that Y-axis bracket? But does anyone have the dimensions for the spindle plate? What are the dimensions of the holes etc...

If it's not to difficult for anyone to obtain.

-Jason

I thought the Y Axis leadscrew was only an extra 3/4 of an inch longer.. did you modify the Leadscrew to get a 2inch plate under there..?

I added a 3/4 inch block to my Y and a 1 inch Lathe tailstock riser to my Z Dovetail and get close to 6.800 stop to stop
    Taig Owners Club.......

Quote Originally Posted by TOC Admin View Post
    I thought the Y Axis leadscrew was only an extra 3/4 of an inch longer.. did you modify the Leadscrew to get a 2inch plate under there..?

I added a 3/4 inch block to my Y and a 1 inch Lathe tailstock riser to my Z Dovetail and get close to 6.800 stop to stop
    If i'm not mistaken, I think there is more room, but I don't know exactly.

Heck 3/4 inch is still good.

-Jason

yea it is....but you know how it goes , more is better........
    Taig Owners Club.......

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    How about some pics of your setup?

Dave
    Dave I have mine part right now, I ordered a new Z-Axis Steel Tubing Column
    [TAIG 200-40] and Y-Axis Extrusion [TAIG 200-15] and a set of Square Steel Ways [TAIG 200-16] and the lead screw for the x axis, from the 2018 mill (200-26)and X-Axis Leadscrew (RH) 2019 (200-26A)

Jason

As for a template I used the Taig X End Plates on both the Y and X when I made my spacers, I then made a hole in the Z axis Tubing column for the new Y axis lead screw #200-16 from the 200-18 mill it is the x axis lead screw for that mill so the lead screw can pass Pass-Through it.

That is why I need the new Z-Axis Tubing column for this next project - I am looking to take a new Y Extrusion and mount it to the one on the mill that is there now and then I want to take the square steel ways and make new mounting holes and place them in the uint and see if I can't get it all to line up perfect and add the X axis lead screw from the 2018 mill inplace of the y axis lead screw that is there now. I hope to get 10 inches of Y Travel but 12 would be better.

The next project would be to get 20 or more inches from the X Axis!

Anyway I would like to get this kit that Twingy is making no matter what I am not sure how mine is going to work out. then I have something to fall back on that I need and want.

MLP

That sounds great, I look forward to seeing it done -

Dave
    Dave->..

Page 1 of 4 123