586,005 active members*
4,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Angled Axis thru part centerline

Angled Axis thru part centerline

I have a round Hub..........and I want to extrude a shape thru the hub out from the centerline on a 5 degree angle equally spaced 90 degrees apart.....How do I get the plane angle and reference it thru the centerline and the face of the Hub so I can generate the sketch for extruding???

Thanks in Advance..........

Ken

It's difficult to picture in my mind what you are describing.

Would a good analogy be like a wheel with angled spokes?

If so, you may be able to use your line to to draw the length and angle of your line, then extrude to your desired size , after which you just use the Circular pattern tool to do the rest.

Please understand I'm just a newbie at this myself but, as it happens, I just finished a drawing that resembles a spoked wheel. The only difference is my spokes weren't angles, they went straight out from my center hub.

MetalShavings

Angled Axis

hi'ya kwhizz, refer to zip, check out tree and edit items to see build :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro: kelef
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would have used the right plane for the 'side view' sketch and created a 'Revolve Boss/Base' and then 'circular pattern'
    No need to create the angled plane.

angled axis

hei'ya Aquatic, was jus' trying to follow kwhizz's line of thought, that's the good thing about SW, you can get what you want, where you want-usually and in different ways :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:- kelef

Here's a 3D PDF of the profile I'm trying to extrude thru the hub at a 5 degree angle.....Thanks for the Help!!! I extruded the shape thru ....then I put a 5 Degree draft angle on the inner face.....But...Now I need to add a feature shape to guide the jaw segments so they can expand the dia out as they move in and out.....so.....with that said.......I need to extrude a shape down thru the face of the hub at a 5 Degree angle in 4 places equally spaced..........

Thanks again!!

Ken

Ken

I would first draw a line in the direction I wanted the cut. Then you can create a plane at the end of that line, choose normal to curve to get the plane perpendicular to the line. Now you can sketch your profile and cut it thru your part, then just use circular pattern to repeat.

Matt

Is this the type of thing you are trying to do?

Matt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails angled cut.jpg  

Angled Axis

here's my guess kwhizz is trying to make an assembly, check out the tree and mates, used circular pattern of one instance good luck, and just keep asking - :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro: kelef

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Ken

I would first draw a line in the direction I wanted the cut. Then you can create a plane at the end of that line, choose normal to curve to get the plane perpendicular to the line. Now you can sketch your profile and cut it thru your part, then just use circular pattern to repeat.

Matt

Bingo!!.....That's exactly what I needed to know..........

Thanks again guys for your help....