585,894 active members*
5,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

haas probing question

I need to make a few pcs that match up to this existing casting
    I would like to be able to probe the DIMS on the outside profile ONLY and the bolt holes in relationship to the outside profile. Get all those points and plug them into my cad cam system.
    I never spent much time with the probe and this weekend I have some time. and to be honest dont know where to begin.

I can do the holes fine just using the hole center routine in that comes with the machine. but I have no clue on the profile.

Zdepths are not important I will run the probe at one z depth , part is clamped in vise

The was a guy from poland that had a circular probe program(few years back) that I think would work with some modifications, cant find it.
    also need to knwo where the points are stored after there hit by probe.

Thanks
    Delw

Not sure if you have the Renishaw programming manuals or not, but get them out and start reading. You don't have to understand the complex routines, but you should be able to figure out the basics. Once you understand 1 or 2, the remainder will be easier.

If you don't have them, go to Renishaw's website and download them. You might have to register on their site, but they are free. Go to Haas' website also and download what they have.

All of the programs are already on your machine, you just need to apply them.

Don't forget, Renishaw has good technical support if needed.

Good luck!

Thanks
    I have the renishaw manual, but was hoping someone could post a sample type code. being on a late friday afternoon and everyone is closing for the weekend.

Now you said all the routines are on the machine already, what program numbers or do I sub different ones to make one?

Check your PM
    Delw

Honestly Del, this sounds like a great time to dive in the deep end and learn. I don't think I'm picturing your part very well, but it sounds like you're after something other than an X or Y surface measure. If you need to measure a vertical surface that is not parallel to an axis, then G65 P9821 is what you need. The manual states what variable is used for what results.

I don't know if it will help, but I'm attaching a spreadsheet that I use as a reference for probe stuff. It's not complete, and was never intended for others to use so proceed with caution. This, plus your manual should get you going very quickly.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Matt
    yes thats why I posted the pic as I think its kinda simple.( dont see the pic now)and it should be something easy to learn on. kinda shaped like a hour glass.
    what it is , is a standard universal joint casting, I have to make a piece to match up to the store bought casting, to fit over an existing splineshaft of the read end to connect the driveline. I just want the casting dims so it look clean instead of making a cheesy looking spacer to connect the 2. this will replace the factory org part from the rearend thats bolts to the driveline, using stock Universal joints.

its just a 2d contour, around the outside edge.
    thanks for the help I will check out your file and start playing.

I could go borrow a buddies cmm but taht would be too easy and I wouldnt learn how to use the probe,
    Delw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails profile.jpg