584,833 active members*
5,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Musical Instrument Design and Construction > Good CNC Router For Making Guitar Bodies?

Good CNC Router For Making Guitar Bodies?

A friend of mine is interested in making bodies (and later necks) for electric basses. Can anyone recommend good machines for doing this? Small, quality routers (at an affordable hobbyist price - i.e. under US$2K) seem hard to find....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Small, quality routers (at an affordable hobbyist price - i.e. under US$2K) seem hard to find....
    They don't even exist.

Ideally, you'd want a 24x36 size machine, and any good quality machine in that size will cost at least $4K-$5K. The only cheap option is to build.

You rarely see anyone posting here who's purchased a machine like that. I think the main reason is cost.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have a k2 2514 that I bought on Ebay for around 1500. With a prewired set of motors and controllers from an internet vendor, that brought the price up to about 2K. I'm pretty happy with it after a year of using it. It's not a speed demon, but gets the job done pretty accurately.
    I'd love to have a 36" length to do bolt on electric necks without carving on an angle or having to reindex them.

Check out the romaxx wd-1 at RomaxxCNC.com : Products & Purchases

Around 4K, but an excellent machine for guitars.

the xzero viper will do guitars very well. price will be between 3k and 4k complete depending on what options you choose. these arent turnkey though, its a partly assembled box of parts.

I am in the same boat man, I have looked for a LONG time and found this rockler cnc shark for about $2,600ish and think its the most affordable one out there but its nothing in a professional level and very basic. I am still trying to get more info on it. check it out

falacncrouter Guest

Re: Good CNC Router For Making Guitar Bodies?

May be you can have a look at China CNC Router

Re: Good CNC Router For Making Guitar Bodies?

I thought about building one the cost is not too bad as I would do the frame in steel as i did mine ,here is the problem it would have to stay local because of the weight .Even Ally would be expensive and weight comes into it mine has end plates machined so the whole lot bolts together then I thought assembly would be a worry ok if you have the background .I still think it would be nice to offer one of a lighter weight ,then we move on to the electronics or do you leave that out and just do the rolling stock ?.With me making every part and just buying the electrics screws and steel tube it was 5 K aud Oh that frame is 60 plus feet of tube to be rigid...adds up hey.