585,885 active members*
6,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

RFQ needed...parts needed ASAP

I need someone dependable for these parts. I have had some made in the past that were months late, did not pass QC, and were not usable. Hole size, pin size, and slot size/depth are critical features. I may consider having them made from Acetal but would prefer as aluminum as shown on the print. Cost and turnaround times are crucial. If you can't have the first batch done within two weeks, perhaps you should wait until I have something with less rush on it. Quote 500 and 1,000 pieces to start. This is a normal stock item which should see a few thousand pieces sold annually.

I have partnered multiple machine shops and have been in the industry for 15 years...so I know what these should cost and what I'm willing to pay. Continued quality work with reasonable rates keeps me buying and you machining my products for years to come.

Email quotes and capabilities to [email protected]

Don
    Attached Files Attached Files
    It's all about the Cool Factor!
    Billet Works Designs

Email sent

Thanks
    Dennis Rathi
    Creations Unlimited
    Precision CNC Machining in Morgan Hill CA

Did anyone ever hear back from Don? I emailed him twice the day he posted and never got a response.

I got an email from him offering the job to me for 1.00 a piece if I didnt take it he was going to issue a p.o. to another guy for a 1.20 each. needless to say I didnt take the work.
    BE NICE TO THE NERDS IN SCHOOL. THEY ONE DAY MAY BE YOUR BOSS

Lol no wonder he never emailed me back...

Haha....
    Yeah.....

American quality at chinese Prices. He has worked with multiple shops bet its because the shops catch on to what hes wanting and move on

How long do you guys think it could take to make this part.

Just give some details, assuming you do not have a multi-axis lathe.

I can't understand the $1.00 per part!!!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey001 View Post
    How long do you guys think it could take to make this part.

Just give some details, assuming you do not have a multi-axis lathe.

I can't understand the $1.00 per part!!!

Jeff
    I pretty much agree with you. Say your rate is $30 per hour. That is $0.50 per minute. I see at least 2 minutes of handling time per part. That alone is $1.00. Then add in material. Then add 15 seconds on the slot side for drilling and milling. Then add 30 seconds on the tab side for milling.

Look at it this way. At a dollar each how many an hour do you have to produce to make shop rate. If it is possible to make your shop rate then go for it but. I can say i didnt get in this business for charity or losing money

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I pretty much agree with you. Say your rate is $30 per hour. That is $0.50 per minute. I see at least 2 minutes of handling time per part. That alone is $1.00. Then add in material. Then add 15 seconds on the slot side for drilling and milling. Then add 30 seconds on the tab side for milling.
    $30 an hour? :drowning:

Should be quoting things atleast at $50 an hour. I quote all stuff around $75 an hour. I was planning on making these in about 2.5min each Quoted $3 for 1000 and $4 for 500.

Quote Originally Posted by dstryr View Post
    $30 an hour? :drowning:

Should be quoting things atleast at $50 an hour. I quote all stuff around $75 an hour. I was planning on making these in about 2.5min each Quoted $3 for 1000 and $4 for 500.
    LOL. Some people never see the forest for all the trees.

(nuts) This is all I can say.

It's not that hard guys... This guys simply wants to bend you over and screw you out of your hard work while he makes the $$. And there are dumba$$ shops who will let him get away with it. I've tried to deal with this guy like twice and he is asking for quality parts that any real shop couldn't make ANY money on. F that. First off he wants the part FAST- and isn't willing to pay the normal extra cost of a shop dropping everything they are working on to make his parts. Second he keeps saying that he has a local "shop" who will do the work at the price that he wants but they are backed up.... gee I wonder why they will not help him out. Also he will claim that he knows how the parts are made and that he knows how much they should cost... this $1.00 BS shows that he is full of sh!t

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrokuda View Post
    It's not that hard guys... This guys simply wants to bend you over and screw you out of your hard work while he makes the $$. And there are dumba$$ shops who will let him get away with it. I've tried to deal with this guy like twice and he is asking for quality parts that any real shop couldn't make ANY money on. F that. First off he wants the part FAST- and isn't willing to pay the normal extra cost of a shop dropping everything they are working on to make his parts. Second he keeps saying that he has a local "shop" who will do the work at the price that he wants but they are backed up.... gee I wonder why they will not help him out. Also he will claim that he knows how the parts are made and that he knows how much they should cost... this $1.00 BS shows that he is full of sh!t
    Exactly. :cheers:

I've been at this a long time and I am SO tired of buyers like this. The problem is the dumba$$ shops that you mentioned. They are so plentiful. Making parts for companies is a royal pain and I'm smart enough to get paid for it. I leave these kind of buyers in the dust and won't even give them the time of day. There is just no way to stay in business pricing anything other than a turned part that you can pull or feed for a dollar or less.

Quote Originally Posted by DepthOfCut View Post
    Exactly. :cheers:

I've been at this a long time and I am SO tired of buyers like this. The problem is the dumba$$ shops that you mentioned. They are so plentiful. Making parts for companies is a royal pain and I'm smart enough to get paid for it. I leave these kind of buyers in the dust and won't even give them the time of day. There is just no way to stay in business pricing anything other than a turned part that you can pull or feed for a dollar or less.
    I am shocked at how many people believe taking a near no profit job will get their foot in the door for higher margin work down the road. When will these guys learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I am shocked at how many people believe taking a near no profit job will get their foot in the door for higher margin work down the road. When will these guys learn.
    Never. They will never learn. They simply don't have the capacity to do so.

Taking a loss on an item is risky at best and dishonest at worst. When dealing with buyers who want parts for a dollar, it should be obvious that there is no opportunity for higher margins with that buyer/company.

I think the biggest reason you guys are flustered is that you are looking at it all wrong. At least for what I've read. I actually figured I could easily do it close to a minute, but I think adding on setup, tools and such, might have put me over what he wanted to pay. You guys are talking about using a lathe when there is no reason to at all. I thought he was full of crap on the price so I thought what the heck, I half ass made up a program and toyed with it. Yeah, I had extra time to kill. I was figureing on using 3/8 square bar, cut long enough for 10 pieces with gap for tool between. In the mill, Cut OD at depth just enough to clear thickness, skim face, cut slot, use drill mill to chamfer all and spot for drill, and then drill. Opposite side, make a set of soft jaws with half circles to clamp OD. Put in bar, still in tact. Cut excess bar and to height, finish thickness, finish what he referred to as "pin" with radius cutter, chamfer where needed. There's 10 done, material about $.05 each. Although I don't know about getting under 1 minute each, once the soft jaws and radius cutter were paid for, one could get very close to $1 each. I'm not trying to defend him, just showing you guys how. No I didn't offer $1 each. And his means of bargaining sounds crooked. It would have been a great fill-in job to let run while attending other machining, but at a bit more than $1 each. Full attention could get 500 done in just over a day. So, ya'll don't go hating me, I ain't on his side. I just wanted to share a different angle with you, since it seemed yall were thinking of involving a lathe, which would indeed add a lot of time.

I figured the quote for being complete on the mill. if your paying .05 cents each for material and running one a minute thats a 30 dollar an hour shop rate. Which is low considering you still have endmills tooling setup time, deburr etc. When I figure a quote I figure in all time involved. If you are running these at a minute apart you wont have time to be off running another machine your going to be standing over it. 30 seconds for the first side flip part and 30 seconds on the second side. Personally at that rate with the close tolerances he was asking for it would seem to me a bit on the impossible side to achieve tolerances with the machine banging them this quick. Not banging on you but my times worth money and if I was going to work for $30.00 an hour I would go to work for someone else in another shop and not have to worry about how long it took or the tooling charges. Just make sure he cuts me a check at the end of the week. anothre scenario lets say he gives you a contract that will keep the machine running for a year dedicated to these parts. Will you be able to buy oil, coolant, cutters. Lets not forget if the machine breaks down you just lost your ass.

I've sent this guy like 5 quotes in the past. The last one I just said "screw it" and I went to his price just to see what he would do. After that he wouldn't call/txt/email me back. So it's very clear that this d0uche is using me/us to lay on his current supplier to get a lower price. HIM: "This guy says he can do it for x- why can't you?!!" F that- and F him

Page 1 of 2 12