584,837 active members*
5,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach Auto Z Zero Touch off Plate??

Tormach Auto Z Zero Touch off Plate??

Has anyone done this yet for there Tormach? I contacted Tormach and they don't recommend hooking voltage up through the machine. I have a 1100 and would like to make an auto touch off plate to zero out Z. I can't find any examples at all on the net of anyone who has done it.

If Tormach doesn't recommend it, why do you want to try?

There are enough risks with stray currents/voltages in any CNC machine. Why would you want to increase that risk, if the manufacturer, who has spent considerable effort analysing and designing to minimise the risk, recommends against it?

But it is your machine and your tools so go ahead. It probably will work OK at least initially. But since you will be imposing a current onto the mill's earth circuit you will not know if you are stressing the electronics that may cause a failure in the future. Or worse still, cause an intermittent fault, the most costly of all faults.

So I would be reluctant to take the advice of someone who believes they have successfully done what you want, unless they have conducted a thorough analysis and testing of their modification.

Your decision.

There are two articles in Digital Machinist that discuss two different methods for doing this.

The first article is in Volume 6 Number 2. The author, Ed Nisley, discusses using a micro switch as a touch off device, rather than using a contact plate. He shows the repeatability of the switch and the general procedures for implementation.

The second article is in Volume 6 Number 1, by Jerry Pryor, discusses implementing a touch probe for his lathe. It includes a discussion about electrical noise and his techniques for solving them.

I recommend reading both prior to proceeding with your plan. The articles will give you some ideas about how to successfully implement your probe.

Wild Horse includes an attachment with their touch probe that converts it to a Z-setter. That might be worth exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Wild Horse includes an attachment with their touch probe that converts it to a Z-setter. That might be worth exploring.
    For ~$100.00, that is a good solution. I am going to get another one and dedicate it for tool setting. I use MachStdMill and it has built in routines for automating tool length measurement.