585,956 active members*
4,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser Tube Troubles

We recently purchased an 80w CO2 laser from Strong Signstec and shipped it to Aus. We had read the many and various disaster stories of importing a laser from China but due to the cost comparison ($7,000 for an 80w v $35,000 for a 50w) we armed ourselves with as much info as we could, held our noses and dived in.

The importing process was smoooooooth thanks to our Customs Broker (no duties to be paid just GST and port handling fees) and we picked up our laser engraver with no problems. The packaging seemed fine and the build quality looked acceptable.

We have had some software problems. The CD loaded with LaserCut 5.3 was corrupt but Wang helped solve that OK.

However..... and now it's a big however...... when we first set up the laser, attached the cooler and ensured bubbles were removed from the system, all appeared OK. The laser fired fine, cooler seemed to work perfectly. Then all of a sudden, no laser firing.

After some fiddling around we worked out that the laser tube had blown a small hole into the inner part of the tube, flooding the enitre tube with water.

We had ordered a spare tube (because of the all the problems as posted) to ensure that if something like this happened we had a spare to work with. So we connected the new tube but now we still have a non-firing laser.

So the long way round to my question is this..... can a flooded laser cause enough of a power surge to short out the power supply OR would a faulty power supply be able to cause a spike enough to damage the laser?

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

there is probably another problem, just shorting the two electrodes that feed that laser most likely wouldn't blow the PS (if it is built correctly) it's not like your shorting a winding and generally if you have it turned to 40w or 10w that's all the ps is going to feed it.

could be the tube is just bad. or like you surmised, the PS had an issue and blew the tube.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbly5 View Post
    We recently purchased an 80w CO2 laser from Strong Signstec and shipped it to Aus. We had read the many and various disaster stories of importing a laser from China but due to the cost comparison ($7,000 for an 80w v $35,000 for a 50w) we armed ourselves with as much info as we could, held our noses and dived in.

The importing process was smoooooooth thanks to our Customs Broker (no duties to be paid just GST and port handling fees) and we picked up our laser engraver with no problems. The packaging seemed fine and the build quality looked acceptable.

We have had some software problems. The CD loaded with LaserCut 5.3 was corrupt but Wang helped solve that OK.

However..... and now it's a big however...... when we first set up the laser, attached the cooler and ensured bubbles were removed from the system, all appeared OK. The laser fired fine, cooler seemed to work perfectly. Then all of a sudden, no laser firing.

After some fiddling around we worked out that the laser tube had blown a small hole into the inner part of the tube, flooding the enitre tube with water.

We had ordered a spare tube (because of the all the problems as posted) to ensure that if something like this happened we had a spare to work with. So we connected the new tube but now we still have a non-firing laser.

So the long way round to my question is this..... can a flooded laser cause enough of a power surge to short out the power supply OR would a faulty power supply be able to cause a spike enough to damage the laser?

Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    1. May the tube is broken during the transport
    2. May you set the wrong connections
    And the tube and power supply should be match with each other
    Hope it will be helpful

Salley
    [email protected] [email protected]
    Liaocheng Xinxing Electronic Co., Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by hina2526 View Post
    I'm doing a science project and need to use a laser pointer. The project is about making a toy for children aged 9 to 12.
    Can you tell me some details of your work? Do you want a laser engraving machine or cutting machine? What material do you use? May I can recommend for you.

Salley
    [email protected] [email protected]
    Liaocheng Xinxing Electronic Co., Ltd.

Have you checked the fuse associated with the PSU ??

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

We checked the PSU and there appears to be a fuse within the body of the unit which seems OK. There is still power going to the PSU (seemingly) as the fan of the unit runs.

Anything else we should check?

Really has been the nightmare we hoped it wouldn't be as we had also purchased a programmable paper cutter from the same company and presto - that also doesn't work. Apparently the mother board. New one sent but the DHL tracking number relates to a package that has already been delivered into Aust. Sigh.......

If we don't get some resolution I guess all we can do is contest the charge through our credit card company for goods that don't function.

It's difficult suggesting any checks you can do on the PSU because of the high voltages involved and the associated danger to health but a picture of the PSU may help me identify the area for you to look for problems.

(I am not a great expert because I have only repaired two of the Chinese PSU's so far).

Tweakie.

what is the meaning of PUS, hope could learn about it. my email is [email protected]

Hi Tweekie thanks for the advice so far.

I'm not sure if these pics are quite what you are after but if not just let me know what I should be photographing other than the outside of the PSU

I'm assuming PSU is Power Supply Unit...........

That's handy, a diagram was posted in another thread. This will not be exactly the circuit of your PSU but it will be similar. The two power transistors (I have circled in red) would be my first area to check - they will be mounted on a heatsink. Any visual damage, open or short circuit with a meter and they need to be replaced as a pair. (Use the transistor part numbers marked on existing parts not circuit diagram).
    You also need to thoroughly, visually, check the rest of the board for signs of damage / component failure - often high voltage stuff leaves plenty of visual signs of failure.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dia1.jpg  

That looks like a RECI dy10 Power supply . they about $150 or so , get one from RECI direct.
    check to see that there isnt a safety interlock that is preventing firing , like an open door or water flow sensor.

Hi Rodney

I have sent 4 email to RECI havent had a reply yet. Is there any easy way to get in contact with them.

Give them a phone call? Otherwise maybe call/mail one of the other laser manufacturers in china , they mist likely have stock. The guys I bought from are very helpful , shenui laser. Blanca is my contact there.

What a ride!

Well it's been a while since we started our Chinese Laser Machine journey and FINALLY we have got the damn thing working. New PSU didn't make an ounce of difference. After more thread searching and some more diagnostics we determined that it may well be the controller (unplugged laser controller from PSU and laser then test fired!) so we ordered a new Leetro controller unit and in the meantime kept working with Wang from Strong Signstec to try and resolve the problem (plus try and get a new tube to replace the one that blew straight up!.... yeah right!).

With the new controller unit sent, Leetro also sent out a copy of LaserCut 5.3 but e-mail.

On continuing discussions with Wang, he suggested replacing the config.sys file from their supplied software with a copy he sent via e-mail.

Considering that Strongs initial software was horribly corrupt we decided to reload LaserCut 5.3 from Leetro's e-mail and bingo we now have a fully functioning laser machine AND a proper copy of LaserCut 5.3 not a bodged copy of 5.1 re-badged as 5.3 and corrupt as hell.

At least we now have replacement parts for our laser :| and have learned that dealing with Chinese companies to try and resolve complex issues is a hiding to nowhere and unless you have a little bit of diagnostic ability yourselves, don't bother!

Now just to work out the settings required for good quality rubber stamp engraving if that is at all possible with this machine......

hm, finally you make your machine run again, this is the good news, even though you change so many spare parts