585,722 active members*
4,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Post Processors for MC > Different Format Statements for different conditions?

Different Format Statements for different conditions?

Hi All,
    Is there a relatively easy way to have my posts use different Format Statement values under different conditions? I am forced to really shrink my programs for some older Fanuc controllers and I'd like to use 2 or 3 decimal places for coordinates while roughing, and 4 decimal places for finish passes (as one example).
    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff

MasterCAM X

I think this is managed in your post-processor(s). The setting to look for and change will be for "Trailing Zeros". This will change Z1.000 to Z1. or X4.500 to X4.5 .

Oh, and to force resolution, X.XX instead of X.XXXX you probably will have to make one Machine Group for roughing and one Machine Group for finishing. Edit the Machine Control for each to the resolution you desire. The problem with this is you will run into circumstances where the round off on the roughing will not leave material for finish. So, then you will be forced to adjust your XY and Z Stock to leave to compensate.

Right txcncman,
    I know how to change the values in the post. What I'd like to be able to do is have some way to change it with variables in the particular Mastercam operation I am working with. That way I don't have to keep swapping posts every time I switch from a roughing to a finishing routine.

I am pretty knowledgeable of MasterCAM X3. I cannot imagine any way to do what you are wanting to do automatically. If you do not want to edit your tolerances for each cutting condition every time, you could build one machine control and name it Fanuc Mill Rough and another for Fanuc Mill Finish. That would simplify the process a little.

Are you already utilizing sub programs to "shrink" the memory used?

Hi txcncman,
    Yes I use subs as much as possible. Your seperate machine definitions idea would probably work. Maybe not too messy. Thanks for the idea.
    Jeff