584,879 active members*
4,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Upgrading XR2 to XR4

Upgrading XR2 to XR4

Hi to you all, I recently started a new job and they are using XR2 Express. I know its an old system but its ok for most of the items we manufacture.

However, having used XR3 Advantage in my previous job, I am now missing a few of the features of this package, namely the "Re pick path" "Rest" and "High speed machining" functions which don't come as standard with the XR2 Express.

I have talked to my boss and he is looking at an upgrade to XR4 Express but I am not sure if there is any difference between XR2 and XR4 Express or will some of the features I am missing be present on the XR4.

Thanks

I don't think anything essential is ever cut, rather you get more and better tweaks to existing features, version by version. I think one of the things in XR4 that may prove most useful is the 'multiple parts' facility in the NC manager, but you won't get that in the lower level packages. But the high speed machining technology in pocketing has continued to evolve as well. Without knowing the details of what kind of work you face doing, it is not possible to forecast other benefits, but I know I hate backtracking to use the earlier version of nearly any software.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)