585,754 active members*
3,961 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Powermax 65 question

I have a powermax 65 unit that doesnt have the cpc port. I need to wire it up to my thc but I dont know where to find the "arc ok or arc tranferred " signal. Any help would be appreciated thanks

I believe it is pins 3 & 4 on J21. J21 is on the left side on the front of the PCB about 1/2 way up.

It's a lot easier to instell the CPC upgrade kit. The CPC upgrade kit includes the port, cabling, and the voltage divider board so a 65 can be fully upgraded for $100. The kit number is 228697 and the part number is 806980 if you want to see the FSB installation instructions. It is a very easy mod.

Willy

The arc transferred signal....which is a contact closure output from the Powermax65 which occurs when the plasma fires and current flows through the work ground cable....is only accessible on systems with the CPC interface plug.

There is an alternative....if you contact www.candcnc.com you can get a "currrent sensor" that attaches to the work ground cable...and closes a contact for your height control input.

As flyinwilly states...the best way to interface these systems is with the CPC.....which can be purchased in kit form from a Hypertherm dealer. With this you have access to the start input (which is only functional with machine torches...is disabled with a hand torch for safety reasons) the machine motion output, as well as the divided arc voltage output for torch height control use.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Me too

Jim I have the same issue but are you saying if I have a hand torch model in my CNC table instead of a machine torch then this option will not work for me? Or am I just reading into your response too much. Can I use the upgrade kit with a hand torch? I have the Hypertherm 65 that came with out cpc port. Thanks for the help

The start input on the rear panel CPC interface connector is disabled when a hand torch is plugged into any Hypertherm Powermax system, and enabled when a machine torch is plugged in. This is for safety reasons so that a hand torch is not inadvertantly fired from a remote device.

The arc transferred signal and the divided arc voltage signals remain active on the CPC regardless of which torch is used.

While the machine torch is the best choic for cnc cutting machines....many users purchase the hand torch as it is less costly. To interface the hand torch on a cnc machine you need to modify and splice into the torch trigger start circuitry.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

thanks

https://www.hypertherm.com/Xnet/libr...602&format=pdf

Last page...pg 246...bottom right corner.