585,875 active members*
3,961 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NEED HELP PICKING CAD/CAM

I know this is a topic that has been discussed on here a hundred times, but I need help. I am currently looking for a new CAD CAM system and becoming overwhelmed with choices. Let me start with a brief description of what I am looking to do with it. We have 2 types of CNC machines HURCO and Centroid. We are a job shop that does a little of everything or anything that lets us keep our dignity. We currently program on the machines and works ok but I think it would speed up the process on the CPU?? We have not done much 3D work in the past but trying new avenues in these hard times and looking at expanding into them. I have looked at BOBCAD CAM and the price looks good and the demo seems pretty user friendly, but found older post that had problems with locking up and not have all of the capabilities, also more importantly the price seems right. Please help, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    Thanks
    Scott

I would say the first thing you need to look at was what file format your customers would most likely be supplying you. For instance (just an example) if its SolidWorks you might want to look into getting a basic seat of SolidWorks and look at one of the gold partner CAM products. most CAM package's are on par for mill functionality. where i believe most people have issues is with file translation. so if you have an idea of the CAD files then you can look at CAM systems that play nice with it. Just MHO.

Why don't you like the Centroid software that should have come with your machine to run on PC? You should be able to import files to the Centroid software. I do not know if there is a way in Centroid to post to your Hurco or not. Something you should look into.

If that does not work for you, I am not going to try to sell you on any certain CAD/CAM software other than to say, to date, I have found a way to make MasterCAM X3 do everything I need it to do to make parts. But, way before I had MasterCAM, I found a way to make programs using AutoCAD and notepad.

Software I have used successfully: MasterCAM, EdgeCAM, PowerStation, and GibbsCAM.

For CAD, SpaceClaim is in incredibly easy to use and very powerful. You can draft up 3D models in minutes, not to mention the sheet metal unbending, etc... It will open many different file types, as well as write them.
    For CAM software, Visual Mill is very fast and easy to use. It doesn't have the flexibility of MasterCam or EdgeCam, but it is much more affordable.