585,685 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Square corners

Square corners

I have just started using camBam with mach 3 and have cut a few inside pockets nicely, However when i come to machine the outside of a simple square it runs the cutter around on a radius using G3 and I,J codes ,, How can i stop this from happening as i need a square corner,, Must be a setting in there someplace its drivin me mad

Regards

Bernie

assuming this is a 2d part and you did not import a drawing, instead of drawing a square box and having your endmill go around the profile draw 4 lines extending them past the profile of the square or rectangle then pick one line at a time forcing your program to cut 4 straight lines one on each side of the profile. my software gives me the option of square or round corners, I have to put in a radius if I want one.

If the radius is the same as the tool's radius, the corners will still be square. Cutting a square this way is preferable, as the tool doesn't have to stop at each corner, which can cause machining marks. Some CAM programs call this "rolling around" corners

In the attached image, the red lines are the toolpaths. Both parts (black lines) will be exactly the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TP.gif  
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Have you done the actual cut and the part came out with rounded outside corners? I have never seen that happen. The tool path is a radius like the picture posted above but the part comes out square.

Quote Originally Posted by bjay View Post
    I have just started using camBam with mach 3 and have cut a few inside pockets nicely, However when i come to machine the outside of a simple square it runs the cutter around on a radius using G3 and I,J codes ,, How can i stop this from happening as i need a square corner,, Must be a setting in there someplace its drivin me mad

Regards

Bernie

Thanks for the advice , I will machine a part today you could be on the money with the roll around corner , Will report back

regards
    Bernie

One feature that may help:
    In CamBam, from the View menu 'Show cut widths'.

This will show the width of the cutter as a shaded area as it moves along the toolpath. The shaded area shows the stock that will be removed.

The image shows 'Show cut widths' turned on for cutting around a rectangle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutwidths.png  
    www.cambam.co.uk

I have just machined a cut in a piece of wood and yes it has square corners, My mistake
    And i had the view cut width turned off it does make it easier 10bulls ,, I am using this machine for electrodes for the edm , and it makes it easy for machining rough and finish electrodes around .5 smaller for the rougher,, These are machined in graphite and that is nice to cut only very dirty and dusty,And will break if to much pressure ,, These are then used for making injection moulding tools

Thanks heaps for your help ,, Top forum

Bernie