585,599 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Who has the smallest workshop
Page 2 of 4 1234
    Hey Norsksea!

how much swing does your lathe have? Whos the manufacturer? I like to get one like it. Nice shop by the way...

It looks like a Craftsmen, I,ve seen a couple on Ebay

thanks!

Well crap...I've a 2 car garage.....with a Delta bandsaw, a HF bandsaw, a craftsman table saw, a craftsman belt sander..a Jet 18MD mill drill...a Lathemaster 8x14 lathe, a chop saw, a miter saw, a 36"x18"x72" cabinet to hold all the machinist tools, and 3 other similar size cabinets to hold the wood working and electronics tools....also have a Delta Mortising machine, a router table, a Ryobi Planer, a Hobart Welder, a gas welding outfit, a welding table that I can take down and a wood working table that's standing on end, a centrifical caster, a vacumn caster.....Oh, forgot to mention a tile saw.....geesch all kinds of travertine....pool supplies.....anyway......it's a 50 butt sized room....where one butt can't move around without developing some scars.......

Oh, forgot to include my CNC router project that is 32 inches square sitting on it's own stand......wonder if I forgot anything.....hmmmmmmm....next time I bump into it I'll let you know.....ah, yes the kiln........

Some great shops guys. Does anyone else have one they would like to share?
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So many machines, so little time (and space)!

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob
    Some great shops guys. Does anyone else have one they would like to share?
    Sure! This is a regular 2 car garage, but I've squeezed in 4 milling machines and a lathe. I won't bother listing all the smaller stuff. You can't even see the 4 milling machines in the picture, even though they're all visible if you know where to look.

The picture is from the day I moved mill #4 into the garage. Since then, I shoehorned a 14x42 lathe in there. All the "aisles" are now properly clogged with materials, tools, and parts.

The only way I can make this work is by putting almost everything on wheels. Harbor Freight sells a $15 furniture dolly with 1000lb capacity. I buy two or three more each time I shop there! It's amazing how simple wheels can turn a immovable pile of bricks into a neat stack, easily nudged out of the way to clear a path. =)

Right now, I can't stand in front of my only operational CNC machine, the Bridgeport. The Y axis motors on the Bridgeport and Shizuoka mills have just 1" between them. So I have to "hop" over these motors to get to the other side.

Eventually I'll sell two or three of the four mills and end up with just one mill and one lathe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4 mills in a garage.jpg   that goes in there2.jpg  

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good links on the internet where they have utility builing plans and/or photos, of different style building's. Something around 16' x 16'. or 16' x 18'. That the sizes im thinking about going with and am looking for ideals on how I want it to look. Thanks- Robbie
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here's something like I had in mind, http://www.designer-shed-plans.com/2315.htm
    Robbie

I am also considering this plan, http://www.cadsmith.com/garage_plans...es/wk-2020.htm . Maybe scaled down a little to 18' x 18'. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get doors similar to the ones on the photo. It don't matter if it is roll up, swing open or the sliding type, just as long as they look fairly similar. Also does any one know where to get the long window above the door. Thanks in advance - Robbie
    Robbie

Yeah thats what ya want that second one, doors on both end, makes it nice in the summer.

I am also considering this plan, http://www.cadsmith.com/garage_plans...es/wk-2020.htm . Maybe scaled down a little to 18' x 18'. Thanks in advance - Robbie
    CNCRob,

Holy, cow! That plan is $115.00!!!

Have you taken a look at the DIY books on the racks at the front of Lowes and Home Depot? You can browse through them and select a book that has the plan/design you like for a lot less money. What's also cool is that the books usually have multiple plans so you can pick the size shed/garage/addition that you want and then incorporate features you like from some of the other plans to customize it to your needs, likes and dislikes. An extra window there, no problem. Doors on both ends, turn to page... Cutout for an attic ladder, why not. Lean-to on one side for your tractor, just the cost of the extra materials.

Give Lowes, Home Depot, or your local bookseller a try before you buy those plans,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay
    CNCRob,

Holy, cow! That plan is $115.00!!!

Have you taken a look at the DIY books on the racks at the front of Lowes and Home Depot? You can browse through them and select a book that has the plan/design you like for a lot less money. What's also cool is that the books usually have multiple plans so you can pick the size shed/garage/addition that you want and then incorporate features you like from some of the other plans to customize it to your needs, likes and dislikes. An extra window there, no problem. Doors on both ends, turn to page... Cutout for an attic ladder, why not. Lean-to on one side for your tractor, just the cost of the extra materials.

Give Lowes, Home Depot, or your local bookseller a try before you buy those plans,

HayTay
    Yeah, That was my first impression also. Especially when I seen a ton of other companies selling plans from $15 - $40. I even bought a really nice set of plans once on ebay for $10. I don't think I will buy the plans though, Just use whats on the website for inspiration and make my own. If they where in the $15 - $40 range I think I would definately buy a set.
    Robbie

Hey CNC Rob do you have a Lowe's near you if you do they got some kool large insulated panel sheds that would make a good little shop. Also I think building it yourself would also be the way to go. At one point I was getting ready to purchase one but then decided I,d rather move first. I fortunetly have many years exp. in the construction industry so my plan is to build my own when me and the wife get a new place (Preferably with a detached garage or shop already built would be sweet) My current shop is a large storage unit in which both ends open up(nice during the summer) but no power other than a generator and I also use an inverter that is self contained(runs my sander,grinder and drill press)one charge lasts a week sometimes two.

.... I don't think I will buy the plans though, Just use whats on the website for inspiration and make my own....
    When you plan your own think about the possibility of expansion some time in the future. Spending a bit of time and a little bit of extra money now can pay off when expansion is needed and you don't have to reposition electrical, or plumbing or drainage to make it possible nor do you need to jackhammer out concrete if you don't put it there in the first place.

the kids have all moved out 4 in all. 2 spare bedrooms so i got one use the deck for cuting the big stuff the wife is really understanding about my hobbys just told her when i get the machine up and running the bugs all worked out i would have a pictured carved out of all the grandkids so she helps me out some times. not all is bad
    my buddy and me are bulding a 30x64 shop so the plaz cutter is going to come to life
    it's been built in my head so many times thanks for letting me ramble on

Im not sure it would pass building codes but check this out http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletWoodShed/
    Robbie

i guess mine isn,t that small. it,s 26x26 but there are2 cars in my way.however when i built it i put a 2nd story on it. mostly for storage.. then i found i was getting to old to carry heavy things up and down stairs. so being a machine builder i went to harbour freight bought a 1300 lb electric wench and built an eleevator. it works good. imade it 3ft x5ft and took the stairs out. it gives me extra floor space because i keep my lawn mower,snow blower.generator.and air compressor up there plus all my extra stock both wood and metal. and when i run it up it closes the hole so i don,t lose heat in winter.but best of all when i need to work on something i roll it on the elevator and raise to the hight i want and sit on a stool to do the work.when my friend Joe saw it he went home and built one also. i love mine saves wear and tear onme Dar ps i,d send pics but don,t know how

Right now my cnc machine is in a small utility building on my parents property which isn't very far from my house. I am wanting to get a small workshop built on my own property before too long.
    CNCRob,

Just checking in. Now that you're married and had a chance to settle in together, what did you decide about the utility building? Did you purchase a set of shed plans, decide to just wing-it, or opted to forget it for now? If you purchased a set of plans, which ones did you settle on, and why?

That pallet wood shed link you provided was a fairly creative way to recycle those abandoned and sometimes freely given pallets. I wonder how long they last, especially those used for the flooring, once the structure is complete? As far as I know, most of the pallets aren't pressure treated or resistant to insects.
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

200 sq feet floorspace spread between the garage and the shed if I build a large router I think it'll live on it's side lol
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by HayTay
    CNCRob,

Just checking in. Now that you're married and had a chance to settle in together, what did you decide about the utility building? Did you purchase a set of shed plans, decide to just wing-it, or opted to forget it for now? If you purchased a set of plans, which ones did you settle on, and why?

That pallet wood shed link you provided was a fairly creative way to recycle those abandoned and sometimes freely given pallets. I wonder how long they last, especially those used for the flooring, once the structure is complete? As far as I know, most of the pallets aren't pressure treated or resistant to insects.

Hey HayTay.
    You know the saying just about the time you think you have things figured out someone throws a curve ball at you. Thats kinda what happened to me. I had decited to have a 14' by 20' built by a guy I know that build utility buildings. A little later in time we where planing to build a slightly bigger building for all the other things we have. But here is where the curve ball comes in. We just found out we are expecting another baby(see this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...095#post186095 ) And now my wife ask me if we could put all the things in our computer room/home office in my new building, so we could turn the room into a nursery for the baby. I don't think the 14' by 20' would be big enough for all the things I had planed to put in it plus most of the things in the office also. So now im having to go through the decision making process all over again. Right now I am thinking about one of those 2 story barns. That way I could have the bottom for a workshop and the top for storage. I will try to keep everyone posted on what I decide.
    Robbie

Page 2 of 4 1234