585,996 active members*
4,544 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Who has the smallest workshop
Page 4 of 4 234
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCRob View Post
    They finished the building today. Now its my turn to do the work. I just have to underpin and build a ramp on the outside and I have a lot of work to do to get the inside ready.
    You can start with Electric, Air Conditioning and Heat. Don't forget a mini Thrown Room LOL
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    You can start with Electric, Air Conditioning and Heat. Don't forget a mini Thrown Room LOL
    Still need to do the other stuff on your list, but already have the A/C part taken care of, LOL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC-smaller.jpg  
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Your going to have a very nice work shop.

What Machines are you going to be placing in it??
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Thanks Toby.
    Right now I don't have that many machines to put in it. I have a K2- KG3925 CNC, A small band saw and a Small drill press. I don't think I will be adding very many others maybe just upgrade my band saw and get a pretty nice air compresser. Other than that I just have a small tool chest full of various hand tools, and a few small power tools like palm sanders, etc.

Your going to have a very nice work shop.

What Machines are you going to be placing in it??
    Robbie

Smile My Workshop

I have a small shed in my back yard.The shed is about 1.7m x 2m. It has a Hercus 6" lathe, vertical drill and of course the CNC mill I am building.I have used the lathe to make the couplings between the stepper motors and the threaded rod.I always admire the japanese people as they are the masters of using space
    regards Colin300

Thanks Toby.
    Right now I don't have that many machines to put in it. I have a K2- KG3925 CNC, A small band saw and a Small drill press. I don't think I will be adding very many others maybe just upgrade my band saw and get a pretty nice air compresser. Other than that I just have a small tool chest full of various hand tools, and a few small power tools like palm sanders, etc.
    Sounds like your gearing up a nice wood working shop. Have you made any more progress with the final construction???
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Sounds like your gearing up a nice wood working shop. Have you made any more progress with the final construction???

Yeah, I built a small wooden deck for it. In order to get it inspected they required a small deck since the doors opened out instead of in. Yesturday I had a guy with a Ditch Witch come out and cut a trench for the electrial cable and I have a electrician comeing out Tues to help wire it. I will try and get some photos uploaded of the the way it is right now.
    Robbie

Well here's my small workshop.

It arrived last Tuesday and I've been working to get it organised since. Cost me €1450 including tax, delivery, and installation. I think I did fairly well . The wire's you see in the video are for the extensions to the house for power, I've also put in a lumber rack since the video was made, ypu can see one of the legs I had started on, and I've started on an enclosure for my router. The router enclosure takes up SOOOoo much space!

I'll post pics or another vid in a week or so when its more organised since the setup in this video is only temporary with a few bits. I've also put my drill press into it since the video, that was a pain to lug in and out of the car! Its 16' x 10', so fits nicely in this thread. I've crawled around it for a few hours using silicon sealant on the joins between all the wall panels, inside and out. And I've ordered sound insulation for the router enclosure, and some spare for the walls. The insulation should arrive this week. The white thing plugged into the orange socket is an energy tracker so I can trace my electricity costs. I have one for the router connection (Not setup yet) and one for anything else Im using.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...94423013&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post

.....The router enclosure takes up SOOOoo much space!....
    Have you people working in small spaces ever thought about building a router with the table (work surface) vertical; something like a vertical panel saw?

X axis still horizontal, Y axis vertical and Z axis now horizontal. It would remove the problem of counterbalancing the Z axis in a very limited space and would introduce the problem of counterbalancing the Y axis. However, it introduces the possibility of having a stiffening beam behind the work surface whic could result in a stiffer but lighter gantry structure and then running the counterbalance along this stiffener.

Chips also fall off the workpiece.

Don't expect me to act on my own suggestions in this case...1600 square feet doesn't qualify as small .
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Thats a good suggestion Geof. It crossed my mind, but in my case I'd have to completely re-build my system since the Z carriage is too heavy and I'd have to counter balance very innovatively!

well,i no longer can say i have the smallest workshop,finally moved out of the one car garage in march to a building i purcashed fairly cheap,and since have tripled the amount of equipment,im still fixing up the inside but will snap off some pics this week and post them,i started in my garage almost three years ago with a brigdeport,grinder and edm,now full blown shop,good luck to all you guys in the little shops

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post

It arrived last Tuesday and I've been working to get it organised since. Cost me €1450 including tax, delivery, and installation. I think I did fairly well . The wire's you see in the video are for the extensions to the house for power, I've also put in a lumber rack since the video was made, ypu can see one of the legs I had started on, and I've started on an enclosure for my router. The router enclosure takes up SOOOoo much space!

I'll post pics or another vid in a week or so when its more organised since the setup in this video is only temporary with a few bits. I've also put my drill press into it since the video, that was a pain to lug in and out of the car! Its 16' x 10', so fits nicely in this thread. I've crawled around it for a few hours using silicon sealant on the joins between all the wall panels, inside and out. And I've ordered sound insulation for the router enclosure, and some spare for the walls. The insulation should arrive this week. The white thing plugged into the orange socket is an energy tracker so I can trace my electricity costs. I have one for the router connection (Not setup yet) and one for anything else Im using.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...94423013&hl=en

Your workshop is looking great. Thanks for sharing it.
    Robbie

Your workshop is looking great. Thanks for sharing it.
    Thanks Rob. Im envious of yours. Those extra few feet would make a big differance. Can't wait to see how you organise the inside of it.

Here's some more updates on my workshop I recorded over the past week as I progressed!

They mainly focus on the router enclosure at this point, but it's nearly finished now. You can see my lumber racks on the left aswell.

The enclosure can be moved about 6-8inches left and right, which leaves just enough space for shelves to go on the side walls and still be able to get at them. The front door is clear polycarbonate. The sides and back are double layered hardboard with a sandwich of 40mm sound insulation. The top also has a sheet of sound insulation, and I will be putting a sheet on the bottom.

Not shown in the vid's I've started sound insulating the walls, which will hopefully also reduce dampness and keep in heat. I've to finish the enclosure tomorrow, then and shelves to get some much needed workspace, then fix the cnc machine ( You can see it has no Z carriage! )

The mess was because I had just finished about 8 hours of work, and hadn't cleaned up yet.

You can also see the construction of the side doors on the enclosure which incorporate some sound insulation.

Page 4 of 4 234