585,662 active members*
3,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Who has the smallest workshop
Page 1 of 4 123

Who has the smallest workshop

Right now my cnc machine is in a small utility building on my parents property which isn't very far from my house. I am wanting to get a small workshop built on my own property before too long. This got me to thinking who has small workshops on here. I've seen some pretty nice small workshops on here before, some even in apartments and on balcony's. If you have a small workshop feel free to tell about it and if you like, post some photos. I would love to see how you guys are making use of the small spaces.

My shop is so small when I use a handsaw I hit my hand on the oposit wall. Actually my shop is about 18x20 and verry crowded
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop1.jpg   Shop2.jpg  

Well I was granted a small dead end of my basement.
    thats about 9 x 6.
    With a mill in there, a lathe, bunch of electronic boxes to house stepper drivers, 2 benches for tooling, and a computer...its a tight fit. Even though they are small Sieg machines, at least I dont have to move a hell of alot when switching between lathe and mill

I was gonna say my 19 x 25 was too small too. When you're table saw takes up 8ft x 8ft of floor space, it starts getting small fast. Add a workbench, a 40" x 60" router, band saw, drill press, lathe, compressor..... and there's no room to work
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

12x14. Table saw, chop saw, band saw, CNC, router table, lathe, drill press, belt/disk sander, jointer, planer, bench, compressor, vacuum, tool chest, hand tools, clamps, wood.

One man shop. No girls allowed.

My shop is a single mini lathe (CNC's) on a small bench on my balcony. You could say the shop is infinitely large cause it is outside

http://www.wrathall.com/Interests/machining/My_shed.htm
    Regards,
    Mark

When broke and just out of school my shop was the "extra" bedroom ( a bump in a hallway) in a 10 x 40 mobile home that I lived in. Most everything was done in the yard through the door. Ahh, good riddance to the bad old days.

Things I've found useful:
    Make a work bench that is tied to the wall(s) but open underneath for flexible storage.
    Choose a counter-top height that fits your body and make every surface this height; that way long materials can be placed anywhere spanning any distance and they will still lay flat and level.
    Put all tools and cabinetry on (locking) wheels.
    A well placed extra door or window can be opened to allow longer lumber or metal through the wall for cutting/machining.
    Headroom! A gambrel roof is a cheap way to gain enough room to flip a stick/ joint/ board from end to end.

How small is small?
    It may be worth checking out the prefabbed sheds at Lowes and Home Depot. They are getting quite good at designing these things to use every bit of material efficiently. I am expanding once again and will build my own extra space with better materials, but the dimensions and framing methods of these prefabs are worth considering if cost is an issue, and it always is.

Good luck!
    David
    www.solsylva.com

Trapped like a shop rat, I am forced into this dark corner of the basement. The wifey will not let me expand beyond these four walls, so I have to make do with what there is.

FYI: It is MUCH cleaner than this old photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop.JPG  

Anyone else have a small workshop?

I guess mine is large in comparision, but the amount of stuff I have in there takes up the room.

2 car garage.

1 car on a frame
    1 extra car frame with spare block, tranny, transfer case (AWD)
    fridge
    oven
    bridgeport clone
    12"x36" lathe
    250dx tig welder
    175 mig welder
    Hypertherm plasma cutter and a 4x5' table
    Welding table area with vise,
    Drill press
    55 gallon air compressor
    horizontal band saw 11'6" blade
    3 phase convertor
    1 spare buick engine

And on friday, sat and sunday there are 2 of us in there working

I would expand things but I plan to be moving in about 8 months.

Mine is 12' x 16' and way too small for the toys I have in there. I have to make sure everything is hung up on peg board before the start of every new project or I trip over it.

Hey trilect, Do you have any pics of your shop, I have been thinking about 12' x 16' for mine also.

Half of a double garage is what I am using now.

If "she" would only leave her car outside at night my shop size would be doubled! (flame2) Then the amperage could really be cranked up on the welder.

Oh well, it sure beats the 8ft X 10ft garden shed that was my workshop for 8 years.

I have a basement shop where I spend all my spare time.
    The pictures of my mill and lathe seem out of place here but I'm working on the CNC part.
    The CNC mill sits on my workbench opposite the green drawers.
    Frank
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shop group 1 sm.jpg   Shop group 2 sm.jpg  

My shop is the smallest around here.

In fact it is so small that it can in its entirety fit within a 17" box. Like, for example, a 17" computer monitor! Sometimes I even keep it there, in my computer monitor, that is.

when I need parts made I simply go to sleep and dream about them

You win, yours is bigger!

Yours is bigger than mine.
    My CRT is only 14" & my LCD less than 2"

But wait, smaller is better in this thread, right?

Na Na, Na Na
    I WIN (nuts)

How this thread has degraded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PcGraphic.jpg  

My shop is on a Kennedy mechanics tool box base with wheels. Although there is a 6' countertop cabinet next to it along the back wall of my garage with wall cabinets above.

Ziggster

10 x 12 , fun when trying to rip an 8' board on my table saw , pull the saw to the door , rip board , push saw back to it s place , oops boards still too thick , pull saw back to the door , rrrrrriiiiiipppp bbbbooooaaaarrrdddd ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wayne has me beat, but heres mine.

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/cribs3.jpg

http://www.takiweb.com/~killtippy/shi/cribs4.jpg

What it has in width, it lacks in depth. Its 2 decent sized workbenches almost end to end, but they are along the back wall of a 2-car garage, so working out in the shop requires squeezing in front of the bumpers of the 2 cars in the garage.

Well I kinda got good size Glass shop (12 x 30) however only this bench (24" x 96") is dedicated towards my future new toys ( Mini mill and a mini lathe ) hopefully will try to figure out a second business to start( some type of metal work or fabrication) becuz Glass breaks metal don,t

Page 1 of 4 123