584,805 active members*
5,200 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Work Holding on a VF-2SS

Hi All,

My new Vf-2SS machine has arrived and I am in the process of finalising tooling and work holding whilst waiting for the 3 phase power upgrade to my workshop to be completed.

For those of you that run a VF-2 (or similar bed size) could you please provide recommendations on vises.

I have been looking at the Kurt HD690, 3600V, D688 and the Glacern premium (std or reversed not sure which would be better).

The Kurts overall seem to have a better range of accessories and the Glacern and Kurt 3600 are able to be mounted vertically. I've got myself chasing my tail and just need to make a decission.

Thanks ... Paul

skip the glacern...good price but screw them and their ****ty customer service. check out chick's new vise's or just go with kurt and be done

i find lots of the time i dont even use vises and make my own fixture plates..much more productive for the stuff i do anyways

It really depends on what you'll be making. If you work on nothing but small-ish parts in medium quantities, then four double station vices will fit on your table. If you're like me and never know what will be coming in the door next, you'll end up with just about every style of vice known to man, plus a ton of weird fixtures.

If you're a job shop, my advice would be to buy two or three D688's and work on your vice inventory from there, as needed. I can't tell you how many times I've used the extra capacity of those vices.

Same with toolholders. Don't make yourself crazy by trying to figure out the exact, perfect mix of them. You won't. You never will unless you make a very narrow range of parts.

I have 3 Kurt HDLM6J's (double station vises) on my VF2.. that gives me 6 work stations, and with the Kurt convertible kit, I can convert them into 3 large opening vises.. It has worked out really well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    It really depends on what you'll be making. If you work on nothing but small-ish parts in medium quantities, then four double station vices will fit on your table. If you're like me and never know what will be coming in the door next, you'll end up with just about every style of vice known to man, plus a ton of weird fixtures.

If you're a job shop, my advice would be to buy two or three D688's and work on your vice inventory from there, as needed. I can't tell you how many times I've used the extra capacity of those vices.

Same with toolholders. Don't make yourself crazy by trying to figure out the exact, perfect mix of them. You won't. You never will unless you make a very narrow range of parts.
    well said.
    those 688s I can get three on a table but its tight on travels
    I have 1 kurt double vice and 2 688s on it when I am running small and large parts
    and 2 kurt doubles wish I had 3 for small procdutions
    if parts are located deep the 688 gets in the way

Quote Originally Posted by locash View Post
    I have 3 Kurt HDLM6J's (double station vises) on my VF2.. that gives me 6 work stations, and with the Kurt convertible kit, I can convert them into 3 large opening vises.. It has worked out really well for me.
    +1

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback.

It is like everything with this business, not so much a compromise but no right or wrong answer.

I think I will end up running with alot of custom made jigs, so at this stage I intend on purchasing just one vise to get me going. Matt@RFR advise seems sound in that one could go crazy trying to work what's needed so early in the process.

To throw another one out there I am seriously looking at an OML 77580202 (150mm x 250mm opening). It has some nice options with the clack system, soft and machinable jaws. It runs in at a similar price to the 3600V (from Australian distributor) but I've got a good deal on offer with my inital tooling order.

Will let you know what I decide and how it goes.

Thanks Paul.

PS. You can check out the VF-2SS delivery and install on my facebook page Log In | Facebook ... drop us a "like" if you like what you see.

You will find as time goes on sometimes what was the right answer becomes the wrong one. My shop has several vises that are no longer used because our procedures and upgraded fixturing rendered them redundant.

I do have a comment/suggestion to keep in mind for the future. Should turn it out that multiple vises are useful for higher volume work but occasionally individual fixtures are needed. The situation on one of our machines. It is convenient to have the vise type that makes it possible to remove all the jaws from the top side. Double lock vises allow this but not all single vises.

With the jaws all removed it is possible to make fixture plates that either straddle the vises bolted onto permanent stand-offs fastened in the table tee slots, or bolt onto the top of the vise base. This means the position of the vises remains constant so you can keep records for work zero locations.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by locash View Post
    what this guy said, I have 3 - 4" double kurts bolted to a sub plate on a vf2. If it gonna be a permanent setup or set up for long periods (months, years) make sure you seal the sub plate with an rtv sealant and use bolts with o-rings in them so no coolant gets under the plate so corrosion doesnt grow.

Dj
    Have you tried marine wheel bearing greese it works very well on alum subplates to a steel table.
    Had a subplate on a acroloc for like 5 years pulled it off when I sold the machine and it stunk but looked brand spanking new.
    I never thought of the rtv or the bolts with O-rings great tips.

Delw

A few tips:

If you have a table with T-slots, take everything off once in a while to maintain the table. A lot can be going on under your vice.

Consider the low-profile table option for production/sub-plate work. This setup gives you more room in the Z-axis and a ground and tapped table.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Thanks Ken for the tips.

I'll get that photo over to the Haas FB page as soon as we get it powered up and go through the weeks training the local agent has arranged.