585,705 active members*
4,501 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > How can I open Chuck 1 and pull back Chuck 2 at the same time?

How can I open Chuck 1 and pull back Chuck 2 at the same time?

My wonderful boss bought me a Multus. I'm trying to transfer from Chuck 1 to Chuck 2. Chuck 1 is a collet chuck(not dead length or true length). Chuck 2 is a 3 jaw. I have a casting that is 2.1in diameter with a 5/8 boss on the top. I'm chucking on the 5/8in boss in the collet chuck and turning the OD and facing one side. When I bring chuck 2 up to transfer and command chuck 1 to open it alarms out on me because chuck 1 opens and pushes out against chuck 2. My first thought was i'll just move the W back as the chuck opens but it doesn't work.
    G84 G1 W50. F.1.
    Anyone have any ideas? Maybe an interlock I don't know about? I don't want to remove the collet chuck because I only have 30 parts and the next job is a barfeeder run where I'll want it back on.

I've basically come down to closing the two chucks. Having an M00 and then manually opening the chuck and moving W back at the same time. If I program it to move back and open at the same time (M84 G0 W50.) It's completes the M84 before it moves causing it to alarm out again. I need someway of forcing it to move W at the same time as the M84 command is being initiated.

Try your M84 with a M64 (Ignore general M-code answer (if you have the cycle time reduction function)). Use M62 to confirm ignored M-code.

The M-code is optional on most machines except sub-spindle machines, so it will most likely work on your machine.

Best regards,

PS> now you know why dead length chucks are recommended... ;-)

IT WORKS!!! Thanks a lot!!!! M84 M64 G0 W50. Did it.