585,996 active members*
4,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ST20 drills off offcenter

I am having a problem drilling on center. Could someone explain either how to correctly set up a drill or enter an x offset so that the machine will drill on center? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You did not say what type of tool holder you are using. You can put a piece of drill rod in place of your drill and use an indicator attached to the chuck to sweep in the drill rod and see which direction it is off.

As a work around, make your own drill holder bushing. Mount some round bar stock in your drill holder and put your drill in the chuck and drill out the bar stock. Be sure to mark the stock for alignment to the holder. Then take the bar stock out and drill and tap some set screw holes or split it on a band saw to make your own collet. Will only work for that size drill, in that holder, and probably only at that tool station.

If my memory serves me correctly when you are in Handle Jog with the Offsets page on screen you can push F2 and that will enter the X offset to put the centerline of the drill holder on the spindle centerline.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

@Geof - I should have mentioned that first. Guess I assumed he would know how to set X offsets (even though he did mention it in the OP).

Yes, you can change your X offset to adjust for some misalignment on the X center line. Does nothing for the Y axis. Still a good idea to indicate things to see where you are at.

Thank you all so much......I am new to CNC and doing this alone and with out much training....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk