584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Scanning for High School

Hello,

I teach a high school CNC machine shop/Solidworks class and we want to get a student scanned so we can cut it out on our mill.

Does anyone know about ho much this runs, or has a sample scan we can try cutting to see if it is even feasible?

Thanks!

Call you local Faro representative and have them come in and do a demo for free.

Do you want the point cloud so you can build the surfaces or are you looking for scan with a Mesh or surfaces? We have a d laser scanner in my class room at the collage.
    I might be able dig you out something.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

So you know the file is a OBJ file a Object file for 3d printing. I don't remember if SW supports this. I have not installed my SW in my new system yet to check.
    KTM666, what are you using for the CAM side?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Your best "all in one" solution for the cost, in my opinion, will be a NextEngine scanner.
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

You're scanning a student?

If so, the rather tiny NextEngine scanner won't be much use. Scanning live human bodies is a specialized application, since they don't keep still too well (especially students) and you can't load them on any but the largest turntables. But if that's what you want to do, there are sites which will let you download a human body scan for non-commercial purposes. Here's one from Cyberware in PLY format:

Whole Body Color 3D Scanner (Model WBX) Samples

If you meant to say you're scanning something the student made, or brought in for reverse-engineering, tell us more about it...

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

On re-reading the original post, I think you are right - sounds like they want to scan a person... And you are certainly right as well, that the NextEngine may not be the best fit. Could be done, but it would be lots of scans!

Here's the start of scanning myself in...

It's Me!!! album | mcphill | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html