585,602 active members*
3,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NextEngine 3D scanner- export to web help

I am using the NextEngine 3D scanner with bundled ScanStudio software. The required end result of the single models are low poly (15,000 or less) for interactive web display via flash/java3D using (likely) Holomatix Blaze 3D as the Java3D/Flash export (and maybe lighting). I am aware of Polytrans, which seems to have superior poly reduction plugins for Maya/Max/XSI & also stand-alone software which may help achieve models of good size that can be used for my application needs.

But, I would like to know if anyone has recommendations for a user friendly process and maybe recommend software (and steps within this software) that will help me achieve this.

My typical problems with direct models out of ScanStudio are: no camera, no lights, extremely high poly models. From tests done so far, just exporting models as OBJ and importing into any editor, setting the camera positioning / directional lighting and then viewing with a 3D viewer .. the model materials appear metallic (no bump mapping?) with specular glare (material modification?).....

When the model is viewed in Scanstudio it appears to be lit from within, with even flat lighting on all surfaces, and the materials look proper.. which actually wouldn't be that bad if it was less time consuming to prepare a model.. this lighting & material type is also the case when directly importing into Holomatix Blaze 3D before adding lighting.. however as soon as you add a HDX (HDR) light source the model returns to it's metallic looking state on all surfaces. Perhaps lighting setups can be imported or created.. but what about the materials.. do these need to be modified for each individual model & texture to get real looking surfaces?

Any suggestions or recommendations you could make would be appreciated.

Did you try the nextwiki thing-a-ma-bob on their website? I'd try there before here. They get back to you really fast usually...
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

I got a reply directly from Todd @ NextEngine on another forum, thanks.

Have had trouble getting reliable answers out of the wiki chat, the usefuul answers I did end up getting came after the questions were escalated.

Anyone use the 3-D scanning import in Solidworks Office?

A new boy in town , I am looking to scan 2D to get DXF or the like, material is 1mm sheet with shapes cut in, would next engine be right for the job, or is there an other , the size is 600 X 600mm

You don't need a 3d scanner for 2d

Quote Originally Posted by fps View Post
    A new boy in town , I am looking to scan 2D to get DXF or the like, material is 1mm sheet with shapes cut in, would next engine be right for the job, or is there an other , the size is 600 X 600mm
    [It sounds like all you need to do is trace over a regular 2d scan (which would be a bitmap) in a software package that creates vectors and can save them as DXF. Rhino would allow you to do that, as would Coreldraw and (I think) Adobe Illustrator.]

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    [It sounds like all you need to do is trace over a regular 2d scan (which would be a bitmap) in a software package that creates vectors and can save them as DXF. Rhino would allow you to do that, as would Coreldraw and (I think) Adobe Illustrator.]

Andrew Werby
    Andrew Thank you for that , what machine do I get to scan/trace in that size range, Please
    I have Coreldraw.

A regular flatbed scanner would work

For large sheets, look for a copy shop that has oversize capacity. Look in the phone book under "blueprints".

If you've got Coreldraw, it should have a "trace" function. If that doesn't do a good enough job for your purposes, you can trace the bitmap by hand to create your vectors.

Andrew Werby

Quote Originally Posted by fps View Post
    Andrew Thank you for that , what machine do I get to scan/trace in that size range, Please
    I have Coreldraw.

Andrew Thank You again for your help, that saved me time and $, I like your web site.

There is also a shareware called Wintopo that will take any pic file and output into various formats. DXF for example.

http://wintopo.com/

Regards,

Gregory

nextengine demo in toronto ontario may 11

Nextengine gave a very short demo on the scanner as he had to catch a flight to another demo.
    He did do a quick demo and it looked it ok but as i read through old threads everyone seems to say that they cannot get the ease of a scanner that the nextengine staff gets and that bothers me as i was going to order a scanner.
    The nextengine staff doesn't really have a lot of info on cross border costs to me in fact they just want to be paid then you're on your own.prior to the demo i tried to contact dan at nextengine 4 times but i never got an answer that bothers me as we need service assistance,then brad bryler(another next engine staff member) and i started to communicate.
    What troubles me is all the threads with people asking questions seem to be all the same ,very few people seem to be able to get good scans.
    I know its not an expensive scanner but its a cost one can avoid

I am looking into the purchase of the nextengine but I haven't seen a whole lot of users on here posting good or bad. Is there alot of them in use? I will be using it for reverse engineering.

be very carefull this company has not had a good track record

Thanks for the heads up. I will be researching a bit before clicking the buy it now button.