585,676 active members*
5,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Impeller help

Good morning everyone. I have this impeller that is kicking my butt. The fourth operation is leaving a flat area at the leading edge of the blade. The cutter is leaving material there. I have the floor of the impeller a check surface on this part and that is creating the problem. If you remove the check surface and regenerate the tool path cuts around the blade, but then gouges the floor. I was hoping some of the big guns on this form could take a look. I have tried every multiaxis tool path and don't know what else to try. I sent to mastercam a week ago and nothing. If anything could someone let me know who to contact to figure this out? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dtm View Post
    Good morning everyone. I have this impeller that is kicking my butt. The fourth operation is leaving a flat area at the leading edge of the blade. The cutter is leaving material there. I have the floor of the impeller a check surface on this part and that is creating the problem. If you remove the check surface and regenerate the tool path cuts around the blade, but then gouges the floor. I was hoping some of the big guns on this form could take a look. I have tried every multiaxis tool path and don't know what else to try. I sent to mastercam a week ago and nothing. If anything could someone let me know who to contact to figure this out? Thanks
    I keep getting error upload of file failed. If anyone thinks they may be able to help I can e-mail the file.

I have found many times, due to limitation in the software (not only MasterCAM), that I end up creating new geometry/surfaces. If it takes me 8 hours to build new geometry/surfaces and 4 days to get "help", I usually come out way ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    I have found many times, due to limitation in the software (not only MasterCAM), that I end up creating new geometry/surfaces. If it takes me 8 hours to build new geometry/surfaces and 4 days to get "help", I usually come out way ahead.
    I'm far past 8 hours. This was a supplied model so I can't create new surfaces. This is the fourth impeller for me. The other three I created vector lines for tool control and that worked, however that approach isn't working for me on this part.

Until you figure out how to upload the model or the MasterCAM file you are working on, I am not sure what else to suggest. I am also not sure why you can't create new geometry or surfaces as needed. If it is for quality and traceability reasons, my opinion is that you only need to show the connection that you used the original model to make a finished part correctly. By making new geometry and surfaces on new layers, this maintains the traceability.

If you do manage an upload, I only have MasterCAM X3 at this location.

Until you figure out how to upload the model or the MasterCAM file you are working on, I am not sure what else to suggest. I am also not sure why you can't create new geometry or surfaces as needed. If it is for quality and traceability reasons, my opinion is that you only need to show the connection that you used the original model to make a finished part correctly. By making new geometry and surfaces on new layers, this maintains the traceability.

If you do manage an upload, I only have MasterCAM X3 at this location.
    I zipped a parasolid of the model and this uploaded. Not sure why the zipped mastercam file won't upload. It is an x5 file anyway. This is a perfect example of not being able to save back to x3 without losing all of my toolpaths.
    Attached Files Attached Files

When opening the file in MasterCAM X3 I get error: Parasolid(R) Kernel Interface Error: PK Error Code: 970 - open/close/read/write error for schema file - check PSLDDATA directory

Same problem with GibbsCAM 2004+

I have a meeting at the college this afternoon. I will try to get back to this later today or first thing in the morning.

When opening the file in MasterCAM X3 I get error: Parasolid(R) Kernel Interface Error: PK Error Code: 970 - open/close/read/write error for schema file - check PSLDDATA directory

I have a meeting at the college this afternoon. I will try to get back to this later today or first thing in the morning.
    Here is a step file, maybe this will open.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here is a step file, maybe this will open.
    When I try opening the zip file I get a message saying it is password protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelmachine View Post
    When I try opening the zip file I get a message saying it is password protected.
    Strange. Did you try and open the other zip with the parasolid?

Strange. Did you try and open the other zip with the parasolid?
    Yes, it asked me for a password on both files you posted. I am using the Windows XP supplied zip utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Excelmachine View Post
    Yes, it asked me for a password on both files you posted. I am using the Windows XP supplied zip utility.
    This might be the problem. Have you ever opened a winzip file with that utility? I'm not sure. I have never come across this before. I don't understand why it won't upload the zipped mastercam file. It's not to large

wasnt pw protected from me..... odd.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shane123 View Post
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane123 View Post
    I forgot to ask if you could open the solid? If so, see if you can zip and attach to the form. For some reason I could not attach my zipped mastercam file.

I just imported the model into gibbscam then saved it back to 2004. Zipped the file and tried to upload to the form and got the same error. upload of file failed. WTF! Has anyone posted a zipped mastercam or gibbs file up here?

Ok. The STP file opened ok. Now we have some common ground to talk about. Are you running this on 4th axis with X0. to the right at the larger hub diameter and X- to the left?

I have already identified one thing that might be causing you problems. Some of the surfaces are not trimmed to each other to make "good" edges. See screen shot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMPELLER001.JPG  

the x_z file, no go. same error as posted. the 2nd file you uploaded, i opened that and tried playing with it. my work pc hates you for it, lol. i could try here at home on my quad core on x5....... my work pc is an old server single core lag machine with x3

x5 opened the first upload, looks alot cleaner than your 2nd file (at first glance). time to play

Page 1 of 2 12