585,967 active members*
4,476 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CANT GET MY TORCH TO FIRE

I have a home made CNC plasma table. I saw the machine work before i broke it down for transport...the machine is now set-up at my shop. I can get it to run g-code on the x,y and z axis (z runs backwards). The problem I have is I can't figure out where to connect the control cable from the plasma torch so the torch knows when to fire on/off. The plasma torch is a Hypertherm 1000 G3 series....I have posted photos of the hardware, any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!.....as a side note I'm creating my g-code in bobCAD and using the Mach3 controller, I'm open to suggestions if other software is better/easier?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails control box.bmp   control box terminal close up.bmp   on table control terminal.bmp   CPU in.bmp  

control box power supply board.bmp  

Is your Powermax1000 equipped with a machine torch or a hand torch?

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by monolithfs View Post
    I have a home made CNC plasma table. I saw the machine work before i broke it down for transport...the machine is now set-up at my shop. I can get it to run g-code on the x,y and z axis (z runs backwards). The problem I have is I can't figure out where to connect the control cable from the plasma torch so the torch knows when to fire on/off. The plasma torch is a Hypertherm 1000 G3 series....I have posted photos of the hardware, any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!.....as a side note I'm creating my g-code in bobCAD and using the Mach3 controller, I'm open to suggestions if other software is better/easier?

Hello Jim, my torch is a hand torch. It works perfectly when using it in that manner. I purposely bought a plasma torch that has the CNC control cable port built into it. The person I bought the table from was using a smaller Hypertherm unit, he had somehow wired the control cable directly to the mother board. I opted to not buy his torch so I could buy a bigger unit. If it would be easier feel free to contact me at 720.220.0384

When the hand torch is plugged into the power supply....the start input of the CPC interface port on the rear panel is disconnected for safety reasons...this is a feature that minimizes the chance of a hand torch from firing from a source other than the trigger switch. If you have a machine torch....I could refer you to the section in the operators manual that describes the connections on the interface receptacle.

If you plan to use the hand torch for a cnc machine....I suggest that you need to make the plasma start connections internally to the same wire connections that the torch trigger switch connects to. Since doing this requires modifying the wiring to the safety trigger switch....I cannot (as I am a Hypertherm employee) help you make these connections. If you can read the wiring diagram in the operators manual...these connections are relatively easy. Firing the plasma torch requires a simple contact closure from your cnc control electronics...essentially to the same connections in the power supply that the torch trigger switch is connected to.

Jim