586,000 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > 4TH AXIS CONTOUR AND HOLES
Page 1 of 2 12

4TH AXIS CONTOUR AND HOLES

Im running behind on this job. Would like to see if you guys could speed up my learning curve. I attached some pics of my set up and part. I can also e-mail the MC filr to you if you think you need it. The part one the side with no holes, is the blank stock.I need to spot face and drill. Then on the other side, I will be doing the od and chamf. I believe I need to use 5th axis curve, with a 4th axis output, but I cant seem to get it. hopefully guys can help. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BLANK_STOCK_SIDE.jpg   OD_SIDE.jpg   PRINT.png  

I take it the block in the middle (first 2 photos) is just your fixture?

Upload a solid file (STP). I am not sure you need any 5th axis function on this.

Interesting part, If you would not mind please post the completed file I would like to see the solution..

TX,
    Your correct, the block is my fixture. Im using Mitee Bite clamps for the hole op, and shoulder bolts for the od. I just tried to save my MC file as an STP file, but when I open it, its a text file with a bunch of jib jab. The assembly you see, I had to merge all 3 single solids to get what I have now. So I don't have an assembly solid of this. I will ask my engineer if he can open mt MC file and save as a Solidworks file. Unless you have another idea. I will try a couple more things. Thanks for your time.

If those parts are on a tombstone then you set your 4th axis so the hole centre lines are normal to the Tool, and you can drill and mill.
    Thats a standard and easy way of drilling at angles, even if you have a 3+2 or a full 5 axis, you still wouldnt need any complicated toolpaths if you have your planes setup correctly.

What type of machine is it being produced on?

Thats the problem Im having right now. Trying to get my planes right. I tried rotate view, x 7. deg, and it seemed to work. So im going to mess around with it, till I get what Im looking for. And if someone comes along with the answer, I will try it. Im on a 4th axis on a Haas VF-2. Its an easy part, and I could just hand write a program, but I know theres an easy way to do it in Master cam. Im going to be using this 4th axis a lot in the future, and I just want to learn the correct way. I havent even got to the tricky part of going around the od yet. I have my eng. creating a solid of it right now.

Wow. Uh...I will try to get back to you on this. Hope you are not in a hurry. I am booked pretty heavy now.

I can help you, just save the file as a DXF, or a mastercam file, are you using X6?
    If you want to learn, teach.

Use the WCS View Manager - Choose the solid face you want your axis to be normal to, set your origin and then when creating your drill or mill toolpaths make sure you choose the view created in your Planes dialog.
    Im just remembering some of this after a hiatus...so it may not be the best way.

Does this sort of look like your part?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ok. Trying to keep it simple, here is your drilling done in MCX3. Note WCS, Cplane, TPlane, Rotary Axis settings, etc. Ask questions if you have any.

Here is with the outer boundary cut added. Same technique can be used for the chamfer tool. Again note the settings in the operation.

Guess that answered your questions and solved your problem. You are very welcome.

i am programming on mastercam x5 for 4th axis on a haas vf-2 and i keep having trouble with the planes. ive tried every gview and plane combo i can think of to set my cplane for the top of the part instead of the front. any suggestions?

Yes use the Dynamic WCS to make the planes much easier and you can set them any way you want. you should share your X5 MC file. I can open it in X5 .
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

sorry cadcam, but im new to this site and dont know how to put my program on here

ttckcncuser go to the button under were you write your reply and you will see the Go Advanced button. under there you will find a button to "Manage Attachments" there you will have the option to pick a file from your computer and upload it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

cadcam, ive tried every way i know of to post my program on here and everytime i try i get a invalid file

Are you trying to post your MC file ? have you zipped maybe I am not sure how big it is?
    Cadcam

its only 500 kb but i think i got it to load

Page 1 of 2 12