585,982 active members*
4,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advanced rough

Hello!
    Today I tried, to machine 3D part using advanced rough strategy. My problem is that it dos not mill to the bottom of the part, so there stays some left material.
    As you can see on the picture below (all other toolpaths except 8mm tool adv. rough are blank). The tool path does not go to the bottom. I tried to solve the problem with smaller depth of cut, and with adding intermediate steps. XYZ allowance is set to 0.

In help there is description of Advanced rough:
    The Advanced Rough is a roughing toolpath strategy which machines the surfaces at one constant Z-depth after another. However, this process will recognize open areas of the model and also offers semi-finishing within the same toolpath result. This 3-axis toolpath is available in the BobCAD-CAM PRO upgrade.

So I believe there should be possible to mill to the bottom of the model.

I have attached my model. I am using BobCAD-CAM V24 Build 376.
    Thanks for the help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails left material.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Koblenzer,

I see 2 things for you to look at.. I only looked at the first advanced rough in the list.

First, review the tool size and be sure it fits where you want it to go.. The gold cylinder is the tool listed in this feature:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toolsize_fit.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	143017

Second, the rough toolpath will look at the set steps, and stop if the last step doesnt fit. here I set the toolsize to 4, then entered a value in the "number of intermediate steps" field... This field gives the toolpath a calculation of how many steps it can use to puch against this... Here I entered 10:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	break_last_step.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	143018

Although with a tool of 4 and intermediate steps calculated at 10, the toolpath is still slightly off the bottom... I need to look to see if there is a number that can be derived from the math, to push it to the exact bottom. But it IS a roughing toolpath, so I'm not sure yet.

Hi Koblenzer,
    So I just checked some output... With those slots being a depth of 4.79 and 5.05 respectivly, setting the division value to 10, produced and output of 4.7727 and 5. I set it to 20 and produced a lowest Z value of 4.7857 and 5.0455
    So at this point, I wouldnt try to use as a finsh operation at lowest surface, but you can surley drive that last cut down to a rough value...

Maybe I'll ask this in the BobCad forum to see if any of the BobCad folks can shed light.

Also check your X,Y,Z allowance(for finishing) if you set a value other than 0 in here it will leave stock on the bottom
    You could always use Flatlands machining to clean the stock off the bottom, it makes a very nice tool path.
    Or you coild use another Advanced rough tool path with 1 cut down to Z bottom, Also try the Rest Roughing option.
    Hope this helps

The Flatlands toolpath is designed to come back and cut the areas left after using the advanced roughing, use flat lands to cut the bottom surfaces.

Then I will have to go with flatlands.
    It would be much simpler, if it would be possible to select Maximum width of flatlands, so you would not need to select boundaries for smaller tools.
    Have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Koblenzer View Post
    Then I will have to go with flatlands.
    It would be much simpler, if it would be possible to select Maximum width of flatlands, so you would not need to select boundaries for smaller tools.
    Have a nice day.

Good point, If you submit this as a feature request at Report | BobCAD-CAM
    there is a good chance it will be added.

Thank you for pointing out.
    Request send.