584,814 active members*
5,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas HL-2 Tool Holders

Hello everybody,

I am thinking of purchasing a Haas lathe HL-2 model 1998. I have no experience in CNC lathes (only manual lathes) but I do have experience in VMC (we have 2 Haas, a VF-0 and a VF-1) so I prefer a Haas lathe. I turn occasionally so I do not want to spend a lot of money on a CNC lathe.

I checked the lathe but the tool holders seem to be a little problem since they are unique and to hard to find them nowadays on the market. I am informed that you can make them yourself so I would like to know if anybody has made hiw own tool holders.

If possible I also like to hear your opinion about the lathe and whether it would be a good choice. I mostly trun aluminum parts. From what I can see on the internet it seems to be a simple and reliable machine.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,

Alex

We have one at the school, and indeed ended up making some new holders for it. The design is such that overtightening can damage them.
    I don't have the dimensions electronically so I'll have to search around. You may also need to make the special spanner wrench but that's much easier.

If I could get one of the machines for a decent price and decent condition, I'd say pick it up if you have the need for it. They're a bit older and not as fast or powerful as the newer machines but saving money with an older one can be nice too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lathetoolholders.jpg  

Yes, you can make your own tool holders. Question will be, "Is it cost effective?" I would make them from alloy steel (4140 probably) and have them case hardened for longevity.

Heck, I have made my own inserted tools before. Once I made a 2.500 diameter 28.000 long boring bar for a CNMG 432 insert.

Quote Originally Posted by txcncman View Post
    ..."Is it cost effective?".....
    Do you know of a source for the older Haas HL tool holders?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

@Geof - If you were asking if I know of a source, no, I do not know of a source for older tool holders.

Like the other thread....just make your own. Nothing really tricky about making those holders.

You may find them on ebay or other auctions that have haas lathes though for cheap.
    Tim