585,956 active members*
4,347 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Decent Cam Bam video Tutorial!?

Decent Cam Bam video Tutorial!?

I can't find one decent video tutorial. Anyone?

I can't believe the creator has not sat down and made a youtube channel with tutorials.

The main place for CamBam video tutorials is here:

CamBam CNC Software - Video Tutorials

There are also a number of user created videos available on the CamBam forum.

CamBam - Index

More videos are planned as soon as the latest CamBam version is locked down.

Thank you for your patience.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    I can't find one decent video tutorial. Anyone?

I can't believe the creator has not sat down and made a youtube channel with tutorials.
    www.cambam.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls View Post

CamBam - Index

Thank you! Can't wait for more videos. :P

Speaking of video's....
    Is that you in the CamBam plus Introduction video?

I ask because the voice in those video's are very relaxing. LOL, I know that sounds weird but i'm just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls View Post

CamBam - Index

Indexed CamBam Help File -- NEW

A long-term Cam Bam user has just finished and uploaded an indexed version of the new CamBam Help File that was released a few weeks ago. This can be downloaded as a PDF.

Indexed CamBam Help File

Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    A long-term Cam Bam user has just finished and uploaded an indexed version of the new CamBam Help File that was released a few weeks ago. This can be downloaded as a PDF.

Indexed CamBam Help File
    Awesome info!! Thank you!

How about a video for doing 3D, Learning to do 3D work in CamBam is like pulling teeth! I'm looking for something new. More moeny I hope I don't waste!!

I'm looking to do 3D as well. People who write tutorials need to have people run through them who don't already know how to use the software.

CAMBAM is a very versatile piece of software, hence it is difficult to make tutorials and videos for.

That being said, there are videos and written tutorials, AND YOU HAVE TO START WITH THE SIMPLEST ONES at the very beginning and then work your way up to the more sophisticated operations within CAMBAM.

Also, the forum is an integral part of the CAMBAM operating manual. The people that contribute and experiment are very diligent and congenial and share quite freely with their time and expertise.

And yes 3D with CAMBAM can be a challenge. Two hints. First, make sure it is 3D you need. There have be a number of cases where 2D and 2.5D MOPS were the appropriate operations. Second, search the forums for 3D hints. There is one long thread between a user Imagineer [I think] and 10 Bulls about some nuances of 3D.

CAMBAM is a piece of software that needs to be experimented with in order to get the most out of it, especially since it is so versatile and configurable. I too was very frustrated when I first started using it, but just kept at it and suddenly..everything just fell into place and it worked.

Keep a detailed notebook on what you do and the outcomes; this will make learn so much easier.

Yes, I know how to use 2.5D and I can whip out gcode in minutes with CAMBAM. Yes, I know I need 3D to machine a carved top for a guitar. I have been through the manual several times and just can't get it. The 2.5Dand 3D methods are as different as night and day, as if the two development teams never talked! And if the forum is part of the manual then why haven't we got an answer? For that matter, why don't you write a good guide instead of scolding us for being stupid? I write user interface S/W for a living, and the 3D interface has a long way to go before I would call it user friendly!

CbrViking stated: For that matter, why don't you write a good guide instead of scolding us for being stupid?

First, and foremost: I was not "scolding" and I did not in any way, shape or form, explicitly or implicitly, say anyone was "stupid". I will let this go as part of being frustrated. What my post was about was giving readers here some experiences I had with CAMBAM in hopes it would be supportive so they did not give up hope.

Second: There are no "development teams", there is one guy, Andy, who began writing CAMBAM, and continues to do so to this day. He is an incredible person and quite busy. For $150, CAMBAM is a lot for the buck.

Three: Me write a user's manual...now there is a joke in the making!!! Seriously. I design furniture and boxes, and am so bad at detail I at times forget to include small items like: How are those two pieces supposed to me joined? Don't laugh. Someone gave me some gorgeous pieces of oak from cutoffs and I was reading a book on Medieval church architecture and got enamored with flying buttresses and so design a stunning jewelry box with flying buttresses [cut using CAMBAM really wild and gothic looking!!] and started to build it and after getting the back and front done [with panels of highly figured wood..one of which looks like a Whistler painting] I discovered that I forgot to design how to join the sides to the front and back. Going to use dowels or dominoes I guess, still working on some construction problems [of my own making] with the curved top. See you do not want me writing an operation manual.

Four: A bit more detail, and I offer the following not knowing what you know how to do, so I start with basics until I know different.

I design with SketchUp 6 [yes older but hey..it works!!]and have a add-in that exports a SKP file as an STL. I import the STL into CAMBAM [make sure that the normals are facing up!!!] and work from there setting up for generating the tool paths and then the g-code. Now that does seem vague, though this will emphasize an important point. For all the terms down the left-hand side of the screen, you have to know what the terms mean in order to make CAMBAM function properly. And yes it is tedious, and yes there is much not immediately obvious. This latter point is why I previously mentioned that the user forum is an integral part of the operator's manual.

Look at this CAMBAM forum entry, it should help explain 3D in CAMBAM to you: Inefficient and unexpected moves during machining 3D profile

Also in the CAMBAM forum search this word: 3D. I ended up with seven pages of entries dealing with 3D in CAMBAM. A bit to read, but there are some common themes that will start to make CAMBAM's 3D functionality begin to become evident.

Also search for the word: Imagining ... this is a user there that started a ground zero with 3D has a long thread with Andy, plus one thread on why the bit cut air or cut odd shapes in a 3D design.

This is what one well versed CAMBAM user suggested on how to learn 3D in CAMBAM: There are many 3D examples here on the forum. I would suggest downloading the .cb files, examine how the various milling approaches are set via the MOPs and try experimenting with them via Cutviewer or actually machining the pieces to see how they work or change. I am a visual type learner so manipulating examples is an effective learning mode for me. I can read manuals and directions all day long and end up not grasping all the variables, but using the variables and observing the changes works well for me.

I can follow the g-code path of CAMBAM just with MACH3, but if you'd like something a bit more illuminating try OpenSCAM. Its an open source program.

One last item..odd as this sounds... Try to not to get too hung up in all the details right from the start. Go operation by operation..those entries down the column of setting on the left hand side of the CAMBAM screen .. figure out exactly what they do [write out definitions], and then after that figure out how they interact.

In closing, please keep in mind that CAMBAM is very versatile and configurable, and they all interact, hence the menus and terms in them are vague.

Wow, thanks! Great information here! I am also a visual learner, and I learn by doing, not reading. I couldn't even get started! I couldn't see how changes I made to the parameters translated into changes in the tool patterns. I will try OpenScam and see if I can't muddle through.

I finally worked through the setups. I still don't know what all the parameters do but I can make parts. Thanks again.

Making parts is good.

I do not "know" absolutely what all the parameters do exactly. I tinker with them until it becomes evident what number in what parameter moves the bit in X+ or X-, Y+ or Y-, or Z+ or Z-. After a while it finally dawn on me what the labels [which I do admit are not always clear] on the parameters meant and I became a bit more proficient with CAMBAM.

Also, I found that there is a relationship between the manner in which a part is designed and the way CAMBAM generates a toolpath. I still have not figure that out so I can replicate the design-g-code relationship each time, and I may never be able to, as when the design side is less than stellar, I can now manipulate CAMBAM with more proficiency which makes it so I can make parts, which is all I want to do.

As I am a woodworker, the tolerances I work with are not of the accuracy of those required by a metal worker, hence a metal worker will no doubt have to tinker more and experiment more than a woodworker does.

Irrespective, there are many who have used CAMBAM for many finally detailed metal pieces.

Watchmaking: New old watch...

1/5-scale blown V-8: 1/5th Scale V8 Blown

Once last bit of encouragement: Now that you have your gotten a grip on the learning slope, it will go much easier.

Re: Decent Cam Bam video Tutorial!?

I just recently downloaded free Cambam for evaluation.

This is not a video but a document you can download defining Cambam terminology.

CamBam Training

This youtube tutorial is also helpful for beginners ... although audio and video quality is poor....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sjYd3obtdg