585,685 active members*
5,047 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Techno CNC > How do I upgrade from 250ipm to 800ipm on my lc4896?

How do I upgrade from 250ipm to 800ipm on my lc4896?

I have a lc4896, and its the standard speed. Techno says it can't be done, but that doesn't sound right. Does anyone know what's involved?

I use my techno for acrylic and foam boards, and I need the speed when cutting graphic printed pieces.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I believe you would have to get new motors, control box, and a pci interface card. I know techno would charge you thousands to do that. It might be cheaper to buy a used higher speed techno from eBay!
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Mike,

My understanding is that the 4896 Plus (Servo Powered) machine is the one that can run at the posted 800"/Min.

I have that setup. It does use a PCI Card and you have to have the right main board in your control box... Their servos run as much as $900 (personal experience) not including all the other bits and pieces to make the swap.

There are really nice and less expensive servos than what Techno sells, but you need to be familiar with all the technical specifications and how to match all the correct components.

I have often thought that a complete R&R of the Techno control software with the current version of MACH3 and a set of less expensive servos, would be a great way to go and if I loose any more servos, I might just go that route. But again, you have to be knowledgeable about what components to get and how to configure them.

Someone that could put together a turn-key retro fit for a fair price cold make some money... like I did with my vacuum table.

Good luck.

Our LC series come in two different power types but the high power LC+ controller and servos can operate at 800in/m.

The lower power LC will be less depending on servo type. You can tell the type you have by looking at the front of the controller:

Note: Both types may have the "LC" logo stamped on the gantry. The controller box will show you the difference.

There will be a small plate with the indicator lights on the front of the controller box. Just note what color that plate is;

Blue Badge (Lights: READY/BRAKE/24V/AXIS(1/2/3/4))
    is an LC+ High Power

Black Badge (Lights: READY/PC/+5/+12/+24/+48/POWER)
    is an LC Low Power
    Christopher @Techno Inc. CNC Router Systems
    Tech Services Department (http://technorouters.com/help TechnoWiki)

Quote Originally Posted by mikenicee View Post
    I have a lc4896, and its the standard speed. Techno says it can't be done, but that doesn't sound right. Does anyone know what's involved?

I use my techno for acrylic and foam boards, and I need the speed when cutting graphic printed pieces.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Change the pitch or change the gear ratio. Accept that it wont have the same torque though. Based on the numbers, I've had no trouble operating at 400 IPM for wood products, but run a tad slower for polypropylene using a stock configuration. Aluminum cutting is a good deal slower, but that should be expected.
    Joe Jared - OsiruSoft Research and Engineering - http://www.oretek.com

Quote Originally Posted by joejared View Post
    Change the pitch or change the gear ratio. Accept that it wont have the same torque though. Based on the numbers, I've had no trouble operating at 400 IPM for wood products, but run a tad slower for polypropylene using a stock configuration. Aluminum cutting is a good deal slower, but that should be expected.
    You use the standard techno lc electronics to get up to 400 in./m on a regular LC router?
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by Pplug View Post
    You use the standard techno lc electronics to get up to 400 in./m on a regular LC router?
    Standard electronics, but I also have velocity profiling based on depth of cut and for continuous cutting at IPM I'm using a 4 flute 1/2" ball nosed endmill. It's my own software for future reference, OreTek
    Joe Jared - OsiruSoft Research and Engineering - http://www.oretek.com