584,865 active members*
4,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

colet chuck on a lathe ?

hi,
    i have a smal lathe(not cnc) 12"x28" 1kw.

i want to get into small engine constraction for hobby and from what i read there is a significant required precision for that kind of machining.
    from what i read so far the 3jaw chucks is the lesser acurasy.

i am thinking to attach a er32 colet chuck on my small lathe for turning axles or similar obgects more precicely. also some objects need to atached in an arbor and then this arbor to atached at the 3jaw chuck or the collet system.

please correct me if i am wrong . also need your help on how to atach the er32 colet system.

1)the spindle has a MT4 taper but no drawbar. can i atach a er32 chuck with mt4 taper? ( without drawbar???)

2)can i purchase a er32 chuck with straight shank and pput it on the 3jaw chuck?

3) should i buy a ready plate with er32 colet and simply bolt it to the spindle?

please forgive my questions but i am newbie and do not know where to start from.
    these are what i read and understand so far.
    thanks!!

I would buy a chuck back plate and fit the collet chuck to that. simple and easy and accurate. I would avoid the temptation of chucking the collet chuck in a three jaw.

good luck.
    Ray,
    Life is a choice, death is choice poorly made.

Quote Originally Posted by AchillesGr View Post
    Hi

I use similiar plate for ER32 collets on Opti180x300 (minilathe) -but i must admit it was not a very good purchase. First - accuracy is not so good (TIR 0.01-0.03mm - i expected something like that - full ER32 set for 80$ cannot be of high quality) but the real problem are the collets itself - ER collets work good only with long objects (they are designed for tools not wirkpieces). When clamping short pieces (say 2-5mm) collets deform and rotate offcenter - you can bypass this problem by putting something with the same diamter at "bottom" of collet but sometimes it's not so easy to find shaft with right dia. I don't know whether this is a problem for you - did i know about this earlier i would buy something else.
    Gregor

hi,
    is there something else i can use?parhaps to atach a nt4 er32 colet chuck straight on my spindle?(my spindle have a mt4 taper but no drawbar) is the drawbar needed ???

or: atach a straight shank er cchuck on my 4jaw independant ?

maybe i am asking to much ? yes if i assume that your er32 colet chuck has acurasy of 0.01-0.03mm , how much acuracy would you get if you mound your workpiec straight on a simple 3jaw chuck?

thanks!

hi

My (cheap) 3 jaw chuck has 0.05-0.08mm TIR depending on diameter. Collets are better - but not so much. Quality collets will be much better but i don't use them so often to justify the expense. I use them mostly for pieces with thin walls, very small diamters or to hold on finisched surfaces. When something must be precisely concentric - make it in single clamping, if it's impossible - redesign, turn between centers or try chuck with independent jaws. (maybe there is a better way - i am only an amateur)
    Gregor

Gregor ,
    can you please explain the " single clamping"?

thanks!

hi

Clamp material in chuck and work without releasing it till all surfaces that must be concentric are finisched - that way you can produce very precise parts event if chuck has big TIR.
    Gregor

thanks!!