585,728 active members*
4,759 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > running emc as a simulator, running out of ideas
Page 1 of 3 123

running emc as a simulator, running out of ideas

Hey folks,

I have a smooth running 10.04 pc in my workshop for emc, a win pc at home office for design work and cam, a laptop with ubuntu 11.04 for primary work.

I need to somehow run emc in the home office for testing (not for actual milling).

In 10.10 I could run the simulator version of emc on the laptop but since 11.04 has a newer python version, the simulator will not work.

I've tried to install it on windos using wubi, did not work.
    I've tried several instalations in virtualbox on 11.04

Getting fed up now, ready to smash pc's and stuff...

Any ideas on how I can test run files without installing 10.04 besides my current 11.04 installation on the laptop?
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

EMC will not work with 11.04
    due to a number of factors , the changes to python being one of them.

and probably wont for some considerable time

tried installing it in 10.10 in virtualbox. will not run. Tried running emc from live cd in virtual box, crashes. tried live-usb emc, will not run. tried simulator in 10.04 in virtualbox after complete removal of the original emc through synaptic, error.

Now it could have something to do with onboard video of the laptop but I have had that running on the same laptop but from it's own partition. I'll try some more in that direction.
    Sven

Weird, I've been running EMC2 simulated long before the sim-packages were built.

Did you check:
    EMC Documentation Wiki: EMC2RunningInsideVirtualbox
    EMC Documentation Wiki: EMC2 Pure Simulator

You don't need Real Time patching for simulation. It might be as you say that your hardware is not good enough. You could try to make a dual boot as well.

Did not know the first, have been using the second one.

Just to be sure, I've installed the downloaded package through software centre rather than from terminal, is that the same?

I´ ve been trying to start it from the live usb so to have the option of installing it to dual boot... Can not even get that to work, will not start. Was able to do so on the original drive that came with the laptop.
    10.04 original gave error, 10.10 with simulator did then
    Sven

Running EMC as simulator

The unasked and therefore unanswered question, is why don't you install Ubuntu 10.04 from the live EMC2 CD on your laptop?

The only way currently for someone without a lot of linux and emc knowledge to run emc under 11.04, is to use the 10.04 rtai kernel and modules, which then negates any reason to be using 11.04.

I can't understand why so many people only want to run the latest number of Ubuntu.
    If you want a particular app version, install that.

Quote Originally Posted by melee View Post
    The unasked and therefore unanswered question, is why don't you install Ubuntu 10.04 from the live EMC2 CD on your laptop?

The only way currently for someone without a lot of linux and emc knowledge to run emc under 11.04, is to use the 10.04 rtai kernel and modules, which then negates any reason to be using 11.04.

I can't understand why so many people only want to run the latest number of Ubuntu.
    If you want a particular app version, install that.
    I can give you a reason good enough. Lets say you have a number of U11-boxes running an application you paid a big amount of money to use, and still want to run simulation.
    Or, lets say you have laptop being totally crap on U10 that works splendid with U11, and still need a simulator.

There you go, at least two reasons that are totally spot on for my office.
    Running EMC2 in simulation mode doesn't need RTAI.

as i have already made very clear before EMC will not run under 11.04
    even in simulation ! , unless you wish to install and uninstall different versions of python
    each time you wish to switch , believe me it''s a lot of work ( amongst others ) .

install virtualbox and install 10.04 linuxcnc LTS as an os ( not running as a live cd ) , i would also download a new copy of 10.04 Linuxcnc LTS Live cd incase of it being a bad copy .

you also mention version 10.10 ? that also will not work , so your mixing versions and kernels somehow , so i'm not suprised your having problems .

any deviation from using 10.04 live cd for emc is asking for problems , even in sim mode .
    emc will not be supported under 11.04 or similar for sometime , due to some considerable changes made to 11.04.

also do not install any binary video drivers , stick with the default , this is the major area of machines crashing emc in particular nvida.

Quote Originally Posted by cncbasher View Post
    as i have already made very clear before EMC will not run under 11.04
    even in simulation ! , unless you wish to install and uninstall different versions of python
    each time you wish to switch , believe me it''s a lot of work ( amongst others ) .

install virtualbox and install 10.04 linuxcnc LTS as an os ( not running as a live cd ) , i would also download a new copy of 10.04 Linuxcnc LTS Live cd incase of it being a bad copy .

you also mention version 10.10 ? that also will not work , so your mixing versions and kernels somehow , so i'm not suprised your having problems .

any deviation from using 10.04 live cd for emc is asking for problems , even in sim mode .
    emc will not be supported under 11.04 or similar for sometime , due to some considerable changes made to 11.04.

also do not install any binary video drivers , stick with the default , this is the major area of machines crashing emc in particular nvida.
    Weeeell... I've been running Emc2 on UBUNTU 11.04 for quite a while. Rrrright then?..
    It's not that hard to make it work. But to help you guys out I made a deb-package that will run on 11.04.
    Just double click it to install with Package Manager, click install and then ignore in the user warning dialog. Runs fine with Python 2.7 (which is default in 11.04).

Here's a vid on a brand new installation of EMC2-SIM on my workstation:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbax-BpokFg]Running EMC2 in SIM-mode on Ubuntu 11.04 - YouTube[/ame]

The package is right here, go get it:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45105575/emc...for_U11.04.deb
    Please note I'm running 64-bit. You need that too.

I'll update the EMC2-wiki as well.

I also run EMC in simulation under Ubuntu 11.04, it works fine, I don't remember doing anything special to achieve this. EMC 2.4.6.

Oww, so close... I need 32 bit.

But thanks for the effort!
    Sven

Well, one step forward...

I' ve been able to get the laptops started with 10.04 from stick.

But now emc will not start, not in normal version nor the simulator. Any idea what to try?

I've had the simulator running from hard drive in 10.10 (will also not run from stick) and had it running in full version from stick in 10.04 but it is never reliably starting up, allmost as if it only does so the first 2-3 times and then stops working alltogether. any ideas?

Edit:
    I realised I may might have found a solution earlier and written about it. After a quick search I found my older message:
    You have to use a specific simulator configuration (for a mill) in the emc simulator, normal configurations will not work propperly!

Now on to testing!
    Sven

I now have the simulator running within 11.10, should work with wither 32 or 64 bit.
    I wrote it all down at the wiki: LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: Build A Simulator Manually
    And made a demo case here: LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) as simulator in Ubuntu 11.10 - YouTube

Regards,
    Sven

Hi Sven,
    Will your method in # 13 work with 11.04 (32 bit) ?
    I had too many problems with Oneiric, and have just installed 11.04, which runs like a dream !

Hi klick0,
    I've tried without success, so I'd be keen to have a hint at where you went to get a successful installation. I had the missing dependencies reported , but being still a newbie, couldn't sort it out.

Regards all,
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

It should work with 11.04 bit as well, but you'll have different dependencies. Just give it a try.

I now run 10.04 in a dedicated virtual machine (virtual box) in 11.04. Then still use the simulator version, not the normal emc.
    Sven

I did the install as a separate partition / boot option.
    You can choose to run your EMC setup on startup

That requires a restart for just testing a gcode run. Running it in a virtual machine means it can just be started in my running system.

IF you need emc for production but want to use a more modern version for day to day use (fi because of posibility of sleep or hibernation) you will need it on a seperate partition.
    Sven

Hi svenakela,
    I'm about to give it a go, so I've read through your Build A Simulator Manually page carefully.

Make a directory, for example git, in your favourite location.
    Never having compiled anything before, and not having a favourite location, where would the sensible place be to use ?

Add following to your path (such as .profile)
    export PATH=$PATH:[path to the linuxcnc dir]/linuxcnc/scripts/rip-environment
    I presume this is the path back to the location I used to create the original Git folder ?

Thanks for your help,
    John
    It's like doing jigsaw puzzles in the dark.
    Enjoy today's problems, for tomorrow's may be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Never having compiled anything before, and not having a favourite location, where would the sensible place be to use ?
    Your home folder is a perfect place. /home/[usernamne]/git that is. Usually the place where a terminal is located when you open one, just make the git catalog there.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    I presume this is the path back to the location I used to create the original Git folder ?
    Yes.

The only thing you do that affects the OS itself is the installation of the packages for solving the dependencies. Otherwise nothing special happens if you brake the CNC compilation, it's all located in the git-folder and when you get tired of it, delete it.

/S

Page 1 of 3 123