585,975 active members*
4,477 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > hurco bmc30ssm wiring questions

hurco bmc30ssm wiring questions

I need to know which way to turn the ribbon cable coming out of the dongle and to the motherboard. The terminal it goes to I believe is the one you can barely make out in the background on the left right beside the the center unplugged ribbon cable. The question is does the red stripe face up or down. the pins don't have a box around them to align the cable correctly. Hope someone knows the answer. Thank everyone.
    Judleroy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0090.jpg  

Normally, there will be a small paint mark on the board at the corner where pin 1 (the red stripe) locates. Just looks like a slightly wider line on the screen print. If you get it wrong, it won't hurt it.

Thank you bloke that fixed the security key issue.
    Now for the real problem I'm having and hopefully a way to fix it. The superwarp 2 dualscreen graphics card went bad. It was keeping the machine from booting up. I had the card fixed. When I first started things up the screen would show everything booting up correctly. Then it showed the security key failure. I fixed the security key failure and the machine started up fine. When I pressed exit-Manuel mode- power up, the screen fuzzed to yellow and went out. I turned the machine on and off maybe 20 times. Each time I adjusted the graphics card in its slot or even tried three other slots. The machine either starts up correctly then fuzzes out, doesn't start at all, or fuzzes out and the console still boots up correctly. The last is how it is now. I cannot see the screen. I hit exit-Manuel mode and the lights all lock in as they should. The hardrive active light is lit and the lights on the hardrive show it active. When I hit power the light just blinks and goes out. Hitting start does nothing or sometimes it engages in the back of the machine then snaps right back off.
    That's where I'm at now.
    This is what I need to know.
    Can I get a new or replacement card that will fix this problem?
    Do I have to have the dualscreen card?
    What is preventing the power from coming on?
    Is there a safety feature preventing it?
    Can I get the power to lock somehow so I can run things? (yes I know I can't see the screens but believe I can navigate them.)
    Why after fixing the card does the console and hardrive now boot up when it didn't allow the hardrive to start before being fixed?
    Any advice on any of these questions or on how I can resolve this problem right away would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Judleroy

See if you can find an old PC you can check the graphics card in and possibly borrow the graphics card out of to try in your control. It's possible your motherboard has gone bad too. If you can get a program that boots and runs from floppy, try that too in case the HDD has corrupted.
    Hurco now use a different dual output card but you have to get one with the correct firmware on it.

Judleroy I have a couple ISA bus VGA cards around here somewhere. They would be regular old VGA cards, not the dual output version. If you need one to test with let me know.
    I also have some ISA bus PC motherboards. I don't remember exactly what I have, though they all worked when put into storage a long time ago. I'm sure I don't have a 486 motherboard though I do have some 486 chips. (For grins, one I remember is a NIB original IBM AT 6MHz 286 board.)

Ok im trying again. These are links to videos of what the pc is doing. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xggcte7pz0E]VIDEO0031 - YouTube[/ame] and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVdMrtOMU_M]VIDEO0028 - YouTube[/ame]
    I hope this can give some insight as to what is and is not happening. The first is what happens at the console upon powering up. The second is a video of what components are in the control cabinet and at the end what happens after powering down then back up. the power lights on the hd show good, the canbus controllers green led flashes, the three lights on the hidden boards on the right(i think its the motion controller boards?) flash but go right back off and the red light on the board right of the canbus card stays lit. Could the 486 chip be bad? If so can I just replace it with a similar one? I'm going crazy trying to figure out what to do. any help would be greatly appreciated. If things cant be fixed I will move on to questions about what I need to connect from the vfd and the servo dynamics 1525 boards to another controller to get them running that way. also what I would need to do to get the relays connected to power up the subsystems, motor power and vfd power. I would much prefer to keep the hurco setup but will do what I have to. Thanks
    Judleroy

Does the text display show anything on startup?
    Does the CPU beep?
    Have you tried removing the left hand two memory SIMMs?
    Try also removing the right hand two SIMMs and then replacing them with the left two.

Thanks for replying. No text at startup and no CPU beep. What are the simms. Is that the ram or something else? Thanks
    Judleroy

I checked online to see what they looked like. I thought that was it. I will do as you advise and post the results. It will be later this evening. thanks.
    Judleroy

Ok tried that and no change. Any info that will help diagnose I will get. If you would like any other videos or if anything was not clear let me know.thanks again.
    Judleroy

If I buy a new 486 dx2 processor and switch out the old one will it hurt anything in the system if it's not the problem. Is there something on the chip that can cause issues? I tested the motherboard with a postcard and it showed all was good. I came back a few days later and the postcard didn't read any codes good or bad. This makes me think maybe the chip is bad. It could just be the cheap Chinese postcard. I'm stumped. I will go ahead and order the new chip just in case. Let me know if it's a bad idea to try it. I had the graphics card and power supply repaired and still no good. This is all I can think left to try. Please any insight would help. Thanks for trying I know it's hit and miss but I'll try anything. Thank you all.
    Judleroy

Changing the CPU won't cause any problems. Try it and see how it goes.

Ok no good on the new CPU but it was worth a try. If I decide to change the motherboard does it need to be an exact replacement? Can I use any motherboard with enough ISA slots to cover the three boards that use them in the system? The machine used to beep at startup but no longer does. What could cause that? Thanks again.
    Judleroy

Does anyone know if I need an exact replacement for the motherboard? I'll admit I don't know much about these older pc's but I'm desperately trying to understand the flow of things. I have a k-motion board and will start a retrofit if that's my best bet. Any suggestions about which way to go. Can I use the motion controller and io board already in the machine?
    The biggest questions are...
    1. What does the canbus controller do in the system?
    2. How is the io implemented?
    3. What is the board on the right of the canbus controllers job in the system.
    4. The k-motion board has 4 +or- 10v outputs can these be used to control the spindle and 3 axis boards.
    5. Do I have to use the tachs on the motors to get accurate motion control?
    6. Can I use a simple on off switch to turn on the power relays on the relay board to use the existing power supplies that are already hooked up to the axis cards?
    7. How are the encoders routed to the axis cards and also to the motion control board.

The axis cards are servo dynamics 1525 brush servo controllers.
    The vfd is yaskawa and pictured in the videos posted earlier. There are tons of wires coming out of it so what do I need to hookup to command it to run forward/reverse and to orient the spindle?

Please anyone with any info help me understand how the system works and each part works with the rest.

I'm not blaming hurco or the repair reps but all they can do is tell me to buy this or that and try it. The reps have no parts to try so I am asked to buy buy buy. After spending 4000 dollars this year alone with no lasting results I'm no longer confidant in there advise. Does that sound stupid? My only options are to get advise from this community which has some of the most Knowledgeable people I have found to help me or give up and scrap the machine. Option two is not really an option for me I'm not giving up. I will try anything I have to.
    Thank you all.
    Judleroy