586,024 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > PVC - Solvent and oil tolerance?

PVC - Solvent and oil tolerance?

Does anyone know how well PVC holds up when exposed to solvents (mineral spirits etc) cutting oils, etc.? I want to use some PVC for machine guarding, but don't know it if will be attacked by the cutting oils and coolants etc.

TIA

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D
    Does anyone know how well PVC holds up when exposed to solvents (mineral spirits etc) cutting oils, etc.? I want to use some PVC for machine guarding, but don't know it if will be attacked by the cutting oils and coolants etc.

TIA

Chris
    PVC, ABS and Styrenes are thermal formed type of plastics. Thermal set and engineered plastics like poly's, nylon and acetal types are less prone to chemical break down.

Organic solvents like ketones, chlor's and fuels will desolve thermal form types, but not engineered types. Oils are not much of a problem as long as they do not contain solvents. Miniral spirits should are not so bad. It may soften the surface and make it gummy. Test a piece for yourself. I usually put a drop of whatever solvent that may come in contact with the plastic, then rub my finger around in it to feel if it desolves the base materials. I have found out the hard way, that some contact cleaners cannot be used on switches with plastic housings.

Machine guarding is typically polycarbonate AKA Lexan. It is clear like plexiglass but not as brittle. Chlors and anarobics will craze the stuff and can cause fractures, but will not normally break it down. The nice thing about polycarbonate is it can be cold formed in a press brake to bend it.

DC

Acetone is really PVC's only real enemy... Oil's and Varsolve and stuff like that won't do much if anyhting to it.
    Nathan

Go here: http://www.coleparmer.com/techinfo/ChemComp.asp - probably the best on the net.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Thanks everyone!

Wow, some great information once again. Thanks!

Chris