584,850 active members*
4,566 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Uncategorised WoodWorking Machines > First project. Something wrong with mach 3 z axis
Page 1 of 2 12

First project. Something wrong with mach 3 z axis

I built a gantry style mill. I surfaced the spoilboard no problem. I've tried a few times now to cut out my first project and here is what's happening. I have it set to relief cut with a 1/4" bit and it's set to make multiple passes at an increasing depth of 1/8" so it would be three passes to get to it's final depth of 3/8". It makes the first several lines no problem with the proper depth and then Mach seems to be adjusting the depth and before I know it it thinks 0 it's 1/4" below the actual work 0. It progressively gets worse and I can't figure it out. It's cutting an area 12 x 10 and it will cut out 12 x 3 of it on it's first pass before it starts going wrong. I can't see anything in the G-Code that is adjusting what Z is to change where it thinks zero is. Any ideas? When I run it in the simulation it looks perfect. In Mach it looks good too but the z position changes. I've tried to run this 3 times, each time I recompile the g-code from ArtCam and each time it messes up.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Attached Files Attached Files

This is just a guess...

Can you manually jog the z-axis up and down and get repeatability of the position? Does the motor sound different when it is going up vs. when it is going down? Is it possible that your stepper motor is losing steps due to mechanical binding or gravity forces when moving in the up direction?

Yes I can get repeatability on z-axis movements. Motor sounds constant through all motion. This is my first "project" as in relief cut but I've done the spoilboard surfacing which was flawless and did a drilling patter with plenty of up down across my 28.5" x 59" table. The weird thing is that it seems to not be off by a random amount but it's exactly .25" off when my step down is .125" for my bit. I rechecked my z-axis movement distance and it's dead on. I'm using Keling 425oz Nema 23 motors.

Think I might have found the answer in another thread. I guess I'll get a PCI Parallel port and give it a shot.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...ing_steps.html

If the problem is related to weak "drive" out of the parallel port, one other possible approach to fixing it would be to use a "buffer board" such as the one from CNC4PC linked below (to improve the signal characteristics and available drive current from the LPT pins):

CNC4PC

I ordered a PCI Parallel card and I also ordered that part from CNC although it's back ordered. Hopefully a combination of the two will solve this. It took me months to get this all up and running and it was disappointing yesterday to not see it work as expected but it is the first time it's done something with two axis moving at the same time.

Should I bother with the other steps in the solution thread? Changing the kernel speed and stuff? I'm currently running at 25000 Hz. Debounce and Index are 0.

Generally setting the kernel speed to 25,000 is a good idea when getting started. If everything is working well, then you can consider bumping it up to 35,000.

As for the other suggestions in that thread, the best approach would probably be to make one change at a time followed by extensive testing (in order to isolate the effects of specific changes). If you had access to an oscilloscope for monitoring the signals from the parallel port, you might be able to determine for certain whether or not the source of your problems was identical to what was described in that thread. Otherwise, proceeding one step at a time is probably the best approach.

I'm thinking it has to do with that because it only loses steps on the z-axis when the z is moving along with another axis. If run a test program to move the mill all over but the z is on a different line so it acts all by itself then it's fine. If I put in multiple movements on the same line then after some time it loses it's z zero but still thinks it's zero which I saw happening and didn't get over to hit my e-stop in time which snapped my bit off when I was testing. Doh. Made me realize with such a large table I need multiple e-stop buttons.

If your z-axis motor were different from your y- and x-axis motors, then I might also consider questioning whether or not the power supply had sufficient current output capacity, but since it looks like all of your motors are identical, it's hard to see how that would explain the problem occurring only on the z axis.

Yes all motors are identical. I found in yet another thread something that could explain it. They said because of the acceleration speed of my z axis and the sheer weight of the z-axis it loses steps on the up travel making it think zero is lower than it actually is. This is what it's doing but I'm going to run a simulation of 100 up down movements and see how far off I am at the end. Then cut my acceleration in half and see where I'm at. It makes sense to me because it only does it on the z and that's the only axis with gravity acting against it and my Z is pretty heavy. It holds strong and appears accurate but if it's losing twice what it's plunging as they say that would explain why losing it. I'm dropping my z speed to 30 in/m and accel to .5 in/sec from 60 in/m and 1 in/sec. Will test it out in a couple hours and post results.

Here are the results of my tests.

The code was simple.
    G0 z1.000
    G0 Z1.125
    repeated over and over

Test 1: 50 cycles of code, 1" per sec acceleration
    Result 1: Z axis is 0.0320 lower than start

Test 2: 50 cycles of code, .5" per sec acceleration
    Result 2: Z axis is 0.0318 lower than start

Test 3: 250 cycles of code, 1" per sec acceleration
    Result 3: Z axis is 0.379 lower than start

Test 4: 250 cycles of code, .5" per sec acceleration
    Result 4: Z axis is 0.380 lower than start

Test 5: 250 cycles of code, .25" per sec acceleration
    Result 5: Z axis is 0.380 lower than start.

Seems acceleration has nothing to do with it. Are we back to voltages coming from the parallel port? Total z-axis weight is probably around 20lb with a Nema 23 425oz motor holding it.

I can only imagine how much worse it will be the longer I run the code for.

I think I'm losing my mind. My last comment, wondering how far off it would be over a longer run prompted me to do it.

I ran the following code 2500 times
    G0 Z1.000
    G0 Z1.500

How far off was I at the end??? 0.002" I don't get it.

Are any of the Z-axis moves part of lead-in or lead-out moves?

If the moves are not lead-in or lead-out moves, are there lead-in or lead-out moves preceding any of the Z-axis movements?

I had a similar problem and as soon as I removed the lead-in moves the odd and/or unpredictable Z-axis moves went away.

No there are no lead in/out moves for the z-axis.

How many volts is the PCI add-on card parallel port putting out?

It could be that the voltage is not high enough. I had axis movement problems with a card that put out 3.3 volts. I changed to a card the put of 5-volts +/- and the axis movement problems ceased.

I'm currently using the onboard parallel port but ordered a PCI parallel port and also the booster from cnc4pc. The PCI card will be here tomorrow and the booster sometime next week. I'll check voltage in the morning of the onboard parallel port tomorrow. I'm hoping that's what it is.

The on-board parallel port tend to put out 3.3-volts.

The PCI card should put out close to 5-volts.

You may not need the booster if the PCI card is putting out 5-volts.

That is what my experience was.

How many watts is the power supply in the computer?

I figured for $20 why not order it just in case. This is the mill we built in case anyone was wondering.

Looks like a nice overbuilt mill!!

I'd be upseet if I had it and it did nto work right.

One last item.

Did you try to uninstall MACH3 and reinstall it? Clean out registry too.

Have you tried some of the procedures for when a PC will not send signals correctly?

I will find them and post them.

Page 1 of 2 12