584,862 active members*
5,508 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Getting ready to get started.

Been lurking for a while, and decided to go ahead and jump in.

Seriously thinking about the JGRO as a starting point.

I run a waterjet for a living and have run routers in the past. Decided I needed my own machine at home.

I like the design of the JGRO, but I may make it a little bigger. Maybe a 2 foot by 4 foot cutting area.
    My wife has already asked me about making things. That's always a good thing when wanting to start a new project.

Anyways, like I said, hope to get started soon.

Jody

Getting Ready

Hello Jody and Welcome to the Zone. Don't be afraid to ask questions. This place is full of expertise. Also, as you can see by having read past build logs, pictures are both interesting to look at and sometimes help to diagnose a potential problem in the making. Good luck with your build. Tom

I started with a JGRO and moved to the larger Joes 2006 almost immedately. The JGRO is a good little machine and it provided great experience in the DIY CNC hobby. Make sure your steppers and controller is large enough to move to a larger machine at a later date (it will happen!). I doubt you would want to make a 2' x 4' machine based on the JGRO design; the unsupported rails just flex too much. If you have access to a cnc router, Joes 2006 design would be a great machine to start with. I built the JGRo and used it to cut the parts for the Joes 2006. Best of luck and enjoy the hobby!

Keith

Welcome Jody,

This will be your new addiction. I have had a blast over the years with my JGRO. It has repaid for itself many times over and continues to output decent work as I installed signs Saturday that were cut on my JGRO.

If your waterjet can cut 1/2" Aluminum you may want to build a metal one first time around which will last a lifetime.

Jason

Funny you should mention that. I have been seriously considering building one out of aluminum. The waterjet would make short work of it.
    Since I work in an aviation enviroment, aluminum scraps large enough are readily available.

Jody