584,858 active members*
4,973 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What is the difference?

What is the difference between 2 1/2 D and 3D as it applies to a cnc machine. Can anyone give me an example of both?

Thank you.
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

2.5d is like xy milling with depth. 3d milling is 3 axis at the same time.

a 3d surface would be 3d milling, cutting a circle or pockets would be 2.5d

Jon

The difference is .5D

Sorry! I just had to do that

Put it this way: if you had a cnc mill with only X and Y moving the table, it would be a 2d cnc machine. You could still drill holes with a manually operated quill, or plunge the tool into the work manually and then press cycle start to run a simple X and Y positioning or machining program.

If you then power the Z axis with a servo, this can take care of the same movements that you were creating with your arms. This would be like 2.5D: X and Y can move singly or simultaneously, but X, Y and Z do not move simultaneously.

In the old days of cnc, you might have saved a few bucks on your cnc controller if you did not require 3 axis simultaneous motion. But with modern cnc's, even hobbiests can enjoy that luxery.

Full 3d requires that all 3 linear axis can move simultaneously. This is typically called for in complex surface mold machining. So those of us who use a 3 axis cnc, but mostly do hole drilling, or simple contour cutting, call what we do "2.5D" machining, because we are not really using 3 axis simultaneous contouring, yet, the Z axis is still fully controlled by the cnc.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Just out of curiosity, Would photo carvings be 2.5 or 3D? Thanks- Robbie

3D, but with photo carvings the Z axis usually doesn't move more than about 1/16". With 2 1/2D, once the tool ramps or plunges to the cutting depth, the Z doesn't change during the cut, until the tool is retracted. With 3D, the Z is constantly changing (usually) during the cut.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you twist your thinking sideways a lot of cam generated code for complex mold surfaces is 2.5D; X remains fixed while Y and Z move, or Y is fixed and X and Z move.

Thread milling is 3D.