585,761 active members*
4,080 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

XYZ Gantry Build with Rotary Axis

I’ve decided to go ahead and post a build log of this project.

Yes, it is another XYZ Gantry Kit.
    Yes, it is another aluminum extrusion frame.
    But, it is going to have a fourth (rotary) axis AND I don’t know what the hell I’m doing so my struggles may prove interesting and I’m sure likely to need some advice along the way.

A few things before we get started. I did do some design work in a 3d Cad package. I have never really used one before so there is quite a learning curve here. In the end the CAD design is rough. Knowing what I know now, if I had time to redesign it from scratch it would be much more complete and useful.

I built an MDF design a couple of years ago using Rockliff plans. It used acme threaded rod, Delrin nuts and assorted styles of linear rails. It is a moving table design with a cutting area appox. 18 X 18. It actually worked (works) albeit with limitations due to parts selection and some alignment issues. Still, had a great time doing it and learned a bit.

Anyhow, I’ve wanted to do a second machine for quite a while, always with the intent of including a rotary axis. When I started to seriously think about what to build I ran across the XYZ Gantry web site. Seemed like a good way to jumpstart the build by having all the mechanicals supplied in one package. I know this may not appeal to a lot of you as there is a lot to be said for picking your own components, assembled and designed to fit your exact requirements. But I am more interested in using it and not spending what would be for me, a long time struggling with the design (due to my limited knowledge) and the build (due to my very limited skills). I have never done any work in metal and all of my tools are woodworking tools.

So here is a screen capture of what I’m shooting for from Alibre. It is NOT a fully fleshed out design. Its main purpose at the time was to be able to order my extrusions. The rotary axis design is really sketchy and subject to change (much more on that later).

There is going to be a lot of bumps in this road but hopefully (with your help) it will eventually all work out.

Thanks for reading and I am way open to suggestions/questions as I go so please feel free.

BobL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AlibrePic.JPG