584,879 active members*
5,306 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > HF Model # 39743 or Bolton AT-125 Re-Wiring Help...
Page 3 of 3 123
    Hi Ken ,

Thats great , a result :wee:

with motor wires being different colours than expected
    I suspect that first time round two wires had been crossed as I thought in post 20

full marks for using the heatshrink sleeving

puzzle solved thats the main thing

It looks like a nice little lathe

a bit easier to convert to CNC than the sieg C2 lathe I have ?

John

Thanks to you the problem is solved and I have a nice new wiring harness...

The heat shrink tubing I use is dual wall, melt liner type, very high quality, learned about it a long time ago doing custom harleys, I did wiring harness's from scratch and never had one fail, all hand crimped, hand soldered connections, any terminal type connector gets the heat shrink tubing job...

On that DPDT switch with the contacts so close together I figured more protection, less chance of shorts, especially the way the wires coming out of the switch housing have to do a "hard over" to get out...

Regardning a CNC conversion of this lathe, not in the works, my mill is my CNC project, the biggest problem I see in retrofit CNC conversions is the stepper or servo motor mounts, once you're past that, not too difficult, my first was a Sherline CNC mill it was a nice machine for hobby stuff but I need a little more grunt and a larger table, I prefer cast iron to aluminum machines any day... This lathe is not a Sieg, I forget the name of the company that actually makes it, I tracked it down... Harbor freight used to sell it in an ugly yellow color...

In the photo of the lathe you can see the ally block on top of the spindle housing, it's a special one I made to hold the Dremel Drill press column, the original is like a "'smithy" type mill/drill head(I'm repainting it now)... I've never used it much for milling, but it is an awesome micro drill press... I wanted to try the dremel up there because it can angle but it's got too much slop for any precision work... The stock mill/drill head is nice and accurate, I did a complete rebuild, removed the sand, deburred and cleaned things up, replaced the bearings and all fasteners etc...

Thanks again so much for your help with my wiring dilema, I am re-assembing the rest of the machine today... I'll post a couple photos when it's done... I'll post some photos of my CNC mill conversion in the appropriate forum...

Back to assembly... Ken

Re: HF Model # 39743 or Bolton AT-125 Re-Wiring Help...

I realize this is reviving an old thread. But, I have acquired one of these machines, and I am in the middle of reviving it back to functionality. The good news is that I have documented a majority of my teardown, including the wiring. However, most of the wires are not labeled, some are degraded to the point of exposed copper. And I believe that there were re-wiring attempts made at a previous time. Currently, I believe that everything would be functional if assembled, but I want to replace the actual wire to each module if possible. I have determined a few things...

-Capacitor .005 in X 42 stranded copper = 17 AWG
    -On/Off - For/Rev assembly .007 in X 22 stranded copper = 14 AWG
    -Motor .004 in X 42 stranded copper = 17 AWG
    -Safety Switch .007 in X 24 stranded copper = 15 AWG

I utilized an online gauge calculator to determine the AWG values. The measurements I took myself with calipers.

I intend to purchase replacement wire and connectors but I am looking for advice as to which products I should be searching for. I was thinking of finding wire larger than each of these in order to cover them all with a single gauge. What would you suggest as a solution for wire, and what type of connector do you have any experience with? Also, would that be possible to connect a new wire to the motor? Based off of the pictures of the open motor previously in this thread, it is difficult to tell if the terminals are accessible. If anyone has some feedback, I am interested in any responses you may have. Thanks.

Jesse

Page 3 of 3 123