585,974 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Servo motor used as spindle motor question

Servo motor used as spindle motor question

I've been looking at servo motors to use as a spindle motor on my X2 milling machine. What exactly am I looking for in specs? For instance, this one:

Pacific Scientic Servo Motor R33GENC-R2-NS-NV-00 Untested | eBay

I have no idea what I need for torque (stall torque...peak torque...) and all the information could just as well be in Greek. I've been looking at compumotor and pacific scientific motors on ebay. But I am hesitant on buying something that may be too small and underpowered.

Can any of this be simply explained?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BrassBuilder View Post
    I've been looking at servo motors to use as a spindle motor on my X2 milling machine. What exactly am I looking for in specs? For instance, this one:

Pacific Scientic Servo Motor R33GENC-R2-NS-NV-00 Untested | eBay

I have no idea what I need for torque (stall torque...peak torque...) and all the information could just as well be in Greek. I've been looking at compumotor and pacific scientific motors on ebay. But I am hesitant on buying something that may be too small and underpowered.

Can any of this be simply explained?

Mike

Yea you better wait till AL or one of the other guys can help you with this. You also need to consider what driver it takes to run which servo you get. For the most part a servo for a spindle works good but you have to think about heat with the continues running like a spindle would be used as. My first thought on this part makes me think you woudl have to run it on lower voltage to keep the heat down so the power would be lower. But IDk I have never used one, alll though there are threads on the forum of this being done. Just wait and get the right responses to your question.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY13 View Post
    Yea you better wait till AL or one of the other guys can help you with this. You also need to consider what driver it takes to run which servo you get. For the most part a servo for a spindle works good but you have to think about heat with the continues running like a spindle would be used as. My first thought on this part makes me think you woudl have to run it on lower voltage to keep the heat down so the power would be lower. But IDk I have never used one, alll though there are threads on the forum of this being done. Just wait and get the right responses to your question.

Jess
    Yeah, this is more of a "thinking about it and wondering if there were any benefits" type of thing. I'm running a treadmill motor right now and it works great, but didn't know if running a servo would get me anything better.

They are all over ebay and I have been wanting to mess around with one sometime.

Thanks
    Mike

One problem in selecting a spindle motor other than a DC brushed or 3ph with VFD, is that many of the motors indicated in the link requires the matching drive otherwise it may be a headache trying to match it up, otherwise it would make a great spindle for a small machine, and have the advantage of programmable rpm with position feedback.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    One problem in selecting a spindle motor other than a DC brushed or 3ph with VFD, is that many of the motors indicated in the link requires the matching drive otherwise it may be a headache trying to match it up, otherwise it would make a great spindle for a small machine, and have the advantage of programmable rpm with position feedback.
    Al.
    Good point. I wasn't as sure on how well servo motors had to be matched to their drive. Steppers seem to be fairly unforgiving in mixing brands, wasn't so sure on servos.

For now, i'm going to keep using my treadmill motor. It works great (although this is the one that is running CW instead of CCW like it was designed). Just wasn't sure if there was any reason to switch over to a servo since I'm looking around for another motor anyway.

Thanks

Mike

Servo motor used as spindle motor question

I have upgraded my Prolight 1000 spindle motor to an .8hp Pacific Scientific AC brushless servo motor and drive, both purchased from ebay as new/old stock. The motor runs very quitely and with good torque from 500-4700 RPM, and it runs very cool even after several hours of run time. It out performs the 1hp 90vdc Baldor motor it originaly came with hands down. I have also upgraded my prolight 3000 lathe with a 1.2hp Baldor AC servo motor and drive with the same results great torque and quite. Well worth the investment, by the way the mills motor and drive were only $200.00 for the set I purchased two sets and have one set as a spare. The lathes motor and drive were $450.00 and I purchased two sets also. You never know when your going to need a backup, and at those prices I coudn't pass them up.

Quote Originally Posted by hydropro View Post
    I have upgraded my Prolight 1000 spindle motor to an .8hp Pacific Scientific AC brushless servo motor and drive, both purchased from ebay as new/old stock. The motor runs very quitely and with good torque from 500-4700 RPM, and it runs very cool even after several hours of run time. It out performs the 1hp 90vdc Baldor motor it originaly came with hands down. I have also upgraded my prolight 3000 lathe with a 1.2hp Baldor AC servo motor and drive with the same results great torque and quite. Well worth the investment, by the way the mills motor and drive were only $200.00 for the set I purchased two sets and have one set as a spare. The lathes motor and drive were $450.00 and I purchased two sets also. You never know when your going to need a backup, and at those prices I coudn't pass them up.
    Are these on ebay yet? I'd like to take a look at them. Could you post a direct leak to them? Or send it to me in a PM?
    Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BrassBuilder View Post
    Are these on ebay yet? I'd like to take a look at them. Could you post a direct leak to them? Or send it to me in a PM?
    Thanks
    Mike
    Sorry, but they were purchased over a year ago. You just have to be patient with ebay and every now and again you'll find really great bargains.

Regards,
    Jose