584,812 active members*
5,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Building cabinets for the shop

Last fall I stopped work on the Bridgeport rehab, which is now running, and almost complete. Now I'm trying to clean out the shop to make room to work.

A major problem in my one car garage turned shop is a sever lack of cabinet space, just a partial row of usually one shelf running around the room.

Would like to build two or three sections of cabinets on the walls to increase the (especially) out of sight (and off the floor) storage space.

Unfortunately, I was ten years old last time I "helped" my dad build one single cabinet in the shop, and I don't remember how we did it.

Anyone got any informative pics of such a project?

Thanks

Tom

Considering the price of a lot of the prefab cabinets you can get from Home Depot etc, building something from scratch is usually just not worth it (assuming your time has any value).

If you want something more robust than a bedroom cabinet, then look at all the more tough stuff they sell from Husky. Lot's of other places sell the 'garage style' cabinets as well - but being in Canada here, it'd be somewhat useless posting names.

I use knock down kitchen wall cabinets. Although reasonably sturdy (after all a cupboard full of crockery weighs a lot) I alway run a wooden batten under them as an extra support. I think I have 11 one metre wide cupboards round the walls of my workshop and still need more ! (They were on special offer when I equipped the workshop!!!)

Wickes - Search
    Andrew Mawson
    East Sussex, UK

Well, I got impatient and did a google search for "build garage cabinets" and found about 6 to 10 videos which were almost identical to each other, and decided to go that route.

I'll post the links if anyone is really interested.

But thanks anyway for the suggestions.

Tom

Probably a little late but have you considered shelves?

Or better yet a mix of shelves and cabinets.

My fathers shop had shelves built out of 2 x 10s as part of his storage solution. There are several advantages to shelves, but that depends upon what you are storing.

My personal solution is as follows:

Wire shelving like is sold for closets, free standing shelves, and hand built open cabinets (book shelfs). Not that I'm just getting started in this regards.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Or better yet a mix of shelves and cabinets.

My fathers shop had shelves built out of 2 x 10s as part of his storage solution. There are several advantages to shelves, but that depends upon what you are storing.

My personal solution is as follows:

Wire shelving like is sold for closets, free standing shelves, and hand built open cabinets (book shelfs). Not that I'm just getting started in this regards.
    I built shelves, with the intention of eventually putting doors on them, which will make them cabinets.

Note that the doors may, or may not, occur.

Tom

The idea of using Wire shelving like is sold for closets; hand built open cabinets and free standing shelves is simply top notch. I am helping a friend redecorate his house and I needed info on wall cabinets and closets. Guess I am where I am supposed to be!

go here

We went with wire shelving throughout our house and I absolutely HATE it. One of the worst decisions i made in building this house. We have been in the house for 6 years and 75% of that wire shelving has been replaced with good old wood shelving. This was also commercial grade stuff that was professionally installed. With the wire shelving, stuff was always falling through, even the commercql grad stuff was bouncy, stuff didn't want to sit right on it, etc. It is a pain to clean and looks cheap IMO. The only wire shelving that I do like is some chrome rolling shelving I have, but it came with some plastic inserts that sit on the shelving that provides a flat surface for the things that are put there. Without that, I would probably hate it too.

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    Note that the doors may, or may not, occur.

Tom
    I have a BUNCH that I made that are still awaiting doors or drawers. Typically though, for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 or 1/2 ply is super cheap ($40 buck about) and I can whip up a few cabinets in an afternoon. The plan is easy if you have a tablesaw and time. I cut two 30" by 24" and dado the edge for back piece and bottom and top if needed. You can find easy plans on google they are pretty simple. As far as wire racks go, I'd much prefer closed up cabinet to exposed wire. Stuff falling thru sucks