584,837 active members*
5,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

414 servo alarm

I have got a wasino wmc-3 mill that was sitting in storage for about 3 years
    I got it to my garage and have it on a converter cant get the x to home out get a 414 servo alarm x axis detect err.
    what do I do to fix this.
    fanuc om control

414 Alarm

Your control is sensing that the feedback coming from the X axis pulse coder is abnormal for some reason.

Check the simple stuff first: See if there is old oil or coolant inside the pulse coder connectors. On most machines, the pulse coder is actually inside the X axis motor, so there will be a large connector (many wires) for the pulse coder and a smaller connector (2 or 4 wires) for the power wires. Check the pulse coder connector for junk inside, loose connection, corrosion, etc.

Some machines have a pulse coder that is separate from the motor. If that's the case, it will be directly coupled to the X ballscrew, and the motor may be belt-driving the ballscrew. In that case, look for a bad or loose coupling between the ballscrew and the pulse coder shaft.

If that's not it, you might have a bad pulse coder. They don't fail very often, so I'd put my money on a bad connection somewhere.

One more thing ...

Forgot to mention that a bad cable is possible on the X pulse coder too. These cables usually flex a lot as the X axis moves, so look for a place where the x cable flexes the most and see if you can "trigger" the alarm when the control just sitting there and on. If the alarm always happens when you zero out the axis, it might be that the cable is flexing just right to open up a broken wire inside the cable.

That one would be harder to fix. I'd recommend just buying a new cable rather than trying to find the break in the old one.

servo check

thanks for the fast reply this place is great for a guy like me trying to start a shop
    the paulse coder is on the motor end under the red covet conections look ok looks to be a dirrect drive to the ball screw the drive will move when first started up in rapid
    seams to move kinda shakey in slower speeds and if stopped and sitting soon the alarm will pop up can kinda hear the motor hum a bit like it is searching or something and can feel it kinda like its wanting to move when the alarm come on it all stops
    on an un realated matter I have a mazak qt18n that was workink fine then it got here and changeed the tranformer on it to run on 230 and when you turn on the cooland get a thermal breaker trip alarm and the coolant pump dont even have to be pluged in so I am sure its not the pumps
    but I am on a phase converter 30 hp 2 legs run at 234 and one is high at 247
    didnt know if this was cousing a problem

still need help on this one

still have the alarm any other things I can try

i have swapped the codder with the y one and still doing the same messed with wires alot cant get it to trip but it move in slow it trips right out

When all else fails after checking your cables that send or receive to your servo motor , it will be a bad servo amplifier , trust me a bad amp will take witnin a a week or two to start going bad check with your cnc company to give you a diagnostic on a amp there will be a number reading that tells you it's not working . They will tell you to change the cables from on amp to another once you have done that then it's pretty much done for. I have changed out about four in my time , Fanuc amps to be morer exact.

I got a 414 alarm on my HMC.The ways were to dry.Check the lubrication and clean the ways.
    Stefan Vendin

414 alarms

On the end of the equasion, youve got the power cable supplying voltage to the motor that the encoder is keeping a close eye on...Ive seen it a couple times.. Good luck, And hope Im not too late

Fanuc 18M 414 Servo error

We have a Kao Ming VMC with Fanuc 18M controller. I get a
    414 Servo Alarm - X axis detect error. In the diagnostic parameter 200,
    the HCA bit (bit #4) is 1 - which is abnormal current Alarm. The LED on
    Servo glows with 9 (but it seem for HC it should be 8). Everything else does not have problem. The alarm comes only when there is actual cutting going on. Some time it comes soon after the cutting starts, some times it take couple of minutes. Spindle load is only around 40%. But if the program is run dry (just increasing the height so that there is no cutting), there is no problem. Once the alarm comes, it goes off
    (only) when the machine power is switched off completely. What can be the problem?

Thanks,

Shrirang

414 Servo alarm

I have being having troubles with this alarm. When i turn on the machine i can move all the axis's and everything works fine for about 5 min and then 414 alarm comes up. I don't understand because i checked the diagnostics and it is "An Abnormal current alarm is being generated in servo amp" Why dose everything work fine for 5 min and then have this happen. I've checked the wires and Encoder and everything seams fine. Need help!

Too much current generally means too much load on the servo. I would check for a lubrication problem (ballscrew or ways), or if there's an electric brake in side the motor, maybe the brake isn't releasing. A motor with a brake is used on slant-bed machines or the Z axis on a vertical mill to prevent the servo from drifting down when power is lost.

Dan

414 Servo alarm

Would the Brake be in the motor case or Mounted sepreatly on the side, also for checking the lubrication, there is oil in the Lubrication unit and the machine dose use it im not sure if it is working on Z axis, How would i go about checking that.

In my case after checking all the things - including motor insulation and all. I realized the problem was due to the dust in the controller. When I took out the drive it was dusty and after cleaning it with blower, the machine worked fine. No other problem was found with the drive.

Shrirang

Servo amp

On another note when the 414 servo alarm comes up on the servo amplifier reads and 8 im not sure what that means?