585,997 active members*
5,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > sheetcam and my drawings are different

sheetcam and my drawings are different

i am trying sheetcam out on a trial it looks very interesting but i have this problem i have airplane parts laided out to cut out of ply and when sheetcam opens the drawing it moves some of the parts outside of my cutting area and flips them over what am i doing wrong ? if i can get this working so that i can see it cut and if its cut correctly i will be purchasing sheetcam. attached are the drawings and what sheetcam says is the correct cut path for these parts any help would be appreciated
    well i tried to post the cut path that sheetcam came up with but i cant get it to post. hopefully anyone that takes an interest in this will get the same results so that they can come up with a suggestion as to what i have done wrong. the parts that move from the original possition are the 4 shovel shaped pieces,the 2 pieces next to the shovel shapes and the long rib next to them James
    Attached Files Attached Files

That is very strange. I have used sheetcam alot and I have never had it do that before. I would ask Les Locost on the sheetcam yahoo forum, or directly thru email. He has always answered my questions right away. One other suggestion for you. Your drawing looks good, since you used polylines for the outlines of your parts(make sure that they are closed and don't overlap). You may want to put the circles on another layer (Holes?) so that you cancut them out with a seperate process--inside offset before you cut out the parts--outside offset. Good luck!

I agree, very strange.
    I loaded the dxf into sheetcam and got the same results noted. I have never had that happen before!

definately a problem for Les.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

thanks guys for looking at this im glad it wasnt operator error as has been the case in the past !
    hi trevor i put everything back on 1 layer thinking that possibly that was screwing things up. the offsets were drawn in already as i was using ace to convert them. one thing is weird though when i drew these i made sure everything was closed as you said, something is screwy there i havent looked at this drawing since i had saved it up close, so i guess i will have to relook at them being i didnt notice or know what to look for when i used sheetcam to convert them. if les can figure out what is wrong here i will deffinately be buying sheetcam if i can get it working properly with turbocnc on my machine
    thanks for looking at this guys
    james

I think the problem is that you are using blocks (also called groups). If you explode the blocks that should sort out the problem. By the way, there is no need to put the holes on a different layer. SheetCam will know that they are inside the outlines so they must be cut first and the other way round.

I opened it in AutoCAD, and there are no blocks that I can see in that drawing? There is a stray line in there, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I exploded the entire drawing in Autocad, saved out as a Version 12 DXF. and it seemed to work properly.

Saving as V12 is always a good idea. Autocad started doing some strange things in the later versions.

hi all
    i got it working finally in turbocad i have to explode the drawing about 5 times to get it working correctly. when i opened this drawing in autocad i had to explode it 3or 4 times before it would read correctly too.i will have to learn autocad because it tells you when there are no more entities that can be exploded. thanks for all the help with this problem i was beginning to wonder if i have gotten in over my head with this cnc machine and my desire to cut my own airplane parts, but now everything is working out. (UNTIL MY NEXT HURDLE) LOL :banana:
    again thanks for the help everyone
    James