584,862 active members*
5,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation 2007 GANESH CYCLONE 32

Hi Everyone,
    I'm in drastic need of help. I'm looking at a 2007 Ganesh cyclone 32 .Looks like in great shape.
    Equipped with:
    Mitsubishi 7 Axis CNC Control
    Edge Technologies Model Patriot 338 12' magazine type bar feed
    Air Blast nozzle
    Finished Parts Ejector.
    This would be the first machine type that would be totally new to us
    We do have CNC lathes with live tooling.
    I never really heard of this make before.
    I just wanted to know if anyone could give me any feed back on how they are?

AWESOME MACHINE, BEEN TO GANESH TRAINING ON THE CYCLONE 32 VERY HELPFUL. I WORKED FOR A SHOP IN 2006 THAT PURCHASED THE SAME MACHINE, HE NOW HAS 7 CYCLONES RUNNING LIGHTS OUT. I HAD NOT HEARD OF GANESH EITHER UNTIL 2006. VERY FAST MACHINE. ONE DOWNFALL IS THAT THEIR IS LIMITED ROOM INSIDE MACHINE FOR SETUP, BUT THAT IS HOW SWISS TYPE MACHINES ARE. COMPARED TO OTHERS GANESH CYCLONE GIVES YOU THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!

Ganesh Cyclone 32

Thank you. This would be our first machine like this and obviously it's very different as far as set-up's and all those axis running. I am looking at a used 2007 and I think I'm getting a pretty good deal compared to the quote I just received on a new one with all the same extra's.
    How's it as far as programming .It has the mitib. control with conversation programming? I'm sure it's going to be a huge learning curve but from what I've seen on you tube .it will be all worth it.

Good bang for the buck!

I used to have a shop and we had an early Ganesh machine - a cyclone 25 4-axis (this was before the 7 axis came out) and it was a great little machine. I saw the 32 7-axis at IMTS last year and we almost bought one. I never had cause to be disappointed with the Ganesh machine.

i havent ran a ganesh yet but i will tell you this about sliding headstock

your not going to have the same rigidity as you do with a fixed headstock or a true swiss machine.

example:
    we were running a face groove in our subspindle the thing sounded like a fog horn every time it engaged.

that is why we rip as much stock off on the main spindle where we have the guide bushing to suck up the cutting forces

good luck with your new toy,
    having all the extra axis and live tools makes life much easier,
    im not sure i could even run a 2 axis lathe anymore

One more question and I will leave you alone. From what I've been told about the Ganesh and probably other Swiss type CNC without guide bushings is that you can only run 3 times the diameter of the part on the length . Does this mean total length or per spindle? I am running a part now that is 304 S.S .375 diameter x 1.250 long . I could do all the machine work on the main spindle then just face the back side and countersink.If what I am hearing is true. This means I can only make a part with this diameter, 1.125 long ,or could I machine about an 1 inch on the main spindle and finish off the rest in the sub-spindle.
    That might have been a few questions ,sorry

it is the same as a conventional fixed head stock machine

you can always use your sub to support the part by gripping and syncing z1-z2

we run parts .304dx11"l and have to do the same thing

So why are some people saying and it's even on the quote I just received on a brand new Ganesh 32 that you can only run 3x the dia.. I know what your saying ,using the sub like a steady rest. I just want to take the part I used as an example .Machine about .950 of the length in the main then grab with the sub and finish turning the O.D which has a slight taper ,center drill and I think I have to machine a counter sink? It's a weird angle .we had ordered a custom countersink but wore out after one job.I attached a similar part but obviously it has a smaller O.D and slightly shorter in length but still slightly exceeds the 3x rule Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ganesh.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	144113.

I think this 3x rule is a general rule of thumb when it comes to unsupported part lengths. I am sure you can probably run longer than 3x diameter in some situations. It would all depend on the overall main spindle travel. In other words, if you are looking at a 1-1/4 machine, and the main spindle max travel was roughly 3-3/4, you can only run 3x diameter max. Now take that same max spindle travel but only run 3/8 stock. Now you are potentially able to run 10x diameter. Does it mean you should? Probably not. I have, however, on our regular Haas lathe run 6x diameter before without issues. It took some taper programming and messing with DOC and feeds/speeds to make it work. But it did work.

Never the less, I am not very familiar with the Ganesh machines. Just taking a quick look, though, at the specs on their web site says that the machine in question has 6.5" of travel for the main spindle. Suffice it to say, I think you would be safe. Looks like a nice machine for short parts. But even then, as someone mentioned above, you can pick up the turned end with the sub for support at either end and turn longer than 3x diameter very easily.

Good luck!

Mike

looking at that part i would
    main
    turn barbs
    drill thru

back
    turn remainder
    cut threads
    bore countersink

that should give you a pretty good split and keep your l:d down

I love this Machine

I don't think there is another machine out there that can run this part complete, out of bar stock, for the cost of the CS. Buy it you will love it too.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cnc-fred View Post
    I don't think there is another machine out there that can run this part complete, out of bar stock, for the cost of the CS. Buy it you will love it too.
    Why would you run that on a swiss machine.. or any lathe for that matter..

Why, it will run 3 1/2 hrs on a 12 ft bar at 3m32s a part with no one at the machine, then load a bar, check a part and it's good for 3 1/2 hrs. more. We can run a 500pc. order in 3 days with less than 4hr of labor. That's set up, washed, boxed and ready to ship.

Re: 2007 GANESH CYCLONE 32

I run 5 of the 32cs's and i run 1.125 length all the time. Just try to do all your turning on the main otherwise you risk the chance for runout . I usually just face and drill and bore on the back.