584,833 active members*
5,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Nema 34HST9805-37 and DM860A Driver
Page 1 of 2 12

Nema 34HST9805-37 and DM860A Driver

Really hoping some1 could explain this and give a possible solution other then replacing motors. I get a bad vibration in motor between 70-75ipm any speed below or above the motor runs very very smooth.

I'm using these motors and drivers with the CNCRP R&P system. They seemed to work very well, I was able to get 1100 ipm before stalling, I have it set at 800ipm with acceleration set to 80. When jogging 100% the motors run very smooth.

I noticed this problem after installing a hand controller and doing some air cuts when the motor is more likely to run at this speed (70-75ipm). I tried different motor and driver(same models though) and microstepping settings with basically the same results.

Any help will be really appreciated,
    Dan

I believe you may be encountering what's known as 'mid-band resonance'... There is a certain speed for all motors where their effective torque drops dramatically. Normally you can accelerate the most past this speed with no problems, but if you run at that speed constantly then the motor's performance will tail off and it may even stall.

Try to work out roughly what speed the motor is running at, then try moving the gantry the length of the table at that speed... What happens? It my well stall as soon as you try to hold it at that speed...

I'm not an expert on this, but that's the first thing that comes to my mind.

For more technical info on mid-band resonance have a look at this page:

Support

Click the 'Step Motor Basics' button, then the 'mid-band Instability' button.

Thanks for reply/help Aarongough, the speed this consistently happens on was between 70-75 ipm microstepping set to 1/8, setting it to 1/16 caused the vibration to start at 100ipm, setting it to 1/32 didn't seem to make a difference from 1/16. I did set my jog to 12% so I could maintain the speed with motor vibrating to see if I was losing steps and it didn't seem like it was but can't be sure, but it never stalled.

Thanks for the link, it's allot to take in, but will be reading through it for sure.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Hey Dan!
    No worries.

If my understanding is correct then mid-band instability simply causes an oscillation (back and forth motion) in the motor, when the motor is spinning at a certain speed... This oscillation takes time to build and and grow in magnitude until it finally overcomes the motor's ability to keep working which results in a stall.

The time that it takes to build up depends on the specs of the motor and the specs of the drive, there is no real information around though about what exactly that time will be, you have to learn through experimentation.

The time may be as long as 10 seconds though from what I'm seeing on the Geckodrive site... This means that unless you have a long section of travel you may not ever be able to make the motors stall because they don't have a long enough run at the 'critical speed'...

I'm not really sure what to suggest as far as solutions go. One suggestion would be to buy and try a Geckodrive on a single axis and see if the problem persists. Their drivers have a built-in electronic damping system that is supposed to stop mid-band resonance from happening and in my experience it seems to work well.

(I'm not affiliated with Geckodrive in any way, I'm just a very happy customer)

I have also seen people attaching mechanical 'dampers' to the drive shafts of their motor. Basically the principal is that the extra rotational weight makes it harder for the motor to oscillate... I have no experience with how well this works (or whether it works at all) though.

Here is a video of someone demonstrating mechanical dampers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJjivsVwSsQ

I'm not sure that it's a terribly valid test though as the second run is at 185IPM, which is larger than the critical speed he had already established of 115IPM...

Mechanical dampers isn't a option these are single shaft steppers.

I cannot begin of how disgusted I am with this 4 axis kit from China.

1. Originally purchased with a TB6560 board, after some research and valuable information on this forum learned this board wouldn't work well with motors so decided to purchase 4 DM860A Drivers from same company.

2. Once build began I realized shafts were longer than normal 34 nemas and needed to modify for K2 slide and R&P system.

3.Shafts are 14mm not 1/2 so needed new coupling and pulley's with custom boring.

Now all said and done these motors are actually useless since this is happening at speeds that are most commonly used when cutting.

Just wish I took the first $500.00 lost and bought a new kit here in the States.

Thanks for the info aarongough and giving me a opportunity to vent,
    Dan

Hey no worries Dan!
    In a way I'm just glad that the hundreds of hours I've spent researching and mucking about with CNC makes me able to help others! :-p

I highly recommend the Geckodrive drivers. I only have experience with the G540 which is an integrated 4 axis board... I'm not sure if that has enought capacity ro run your Nema34 steppers (probably not), but I know that their other driver boards do.

Their best and biggest drivers are about $150 each, they can run 80V at 7 amps which should be more than enough to drive your big Nema 34 steppers.

I'm sure that's bad news at this point, but at least you have a decent idea where the problem may lie.

I would say you should try running some actual g-code through your machine and see what the results are like. If it only spends very short periods of time at 75IPM as it's accelerating toward 800IPM then all the worry may actually be for nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by aarongough View Post
    I would say you should try running some actual g-code through your machine and see what the results are like. If it only spends very short periods of time at 75IPM as it's accelerating toward 800IPM then all the worry may actually be for nothing!
    When air cutting with G code with a feed rate of 200 was when I realized I had a problem. Just jogging at 100% the motors sound great. I did air cut some G code with a feedrate of 500ipm and I never heard any vibration but in reality I'll never be able to cut at that speed.

I think my problem are with my motors though and not the driver. I already replaced a motor with 1 I purchased from CNCRP on Z, and the driver controls motor fine without this problem. The drivers specs are same as you described above 80V and 7.8amps.

Thanks again,
    Dan

Hey Dan,
    It may be that the problem is with the motors, but having the motor on the Z work is no guarantee of that as it usually won't be travelling anywhere near the speed or distance that the X & Y are...

I would move that motor to one of your other axes if it's of a suitable size and see if that fixes the problem, if it does then you have a definite solution there!
    -A

I think my problem are with my motors though and not the driver. I already replaced a motor with 1 I purchased from CNCRP on Z, and the driver controls motor fine without this problem.
    The resonant frequency can vary greatly between motors, even with the same drives. Larger motors are more likely to be affected.
    It's unlikely that something is wrong with the steppers.

As suggested, Geckos would probably fix the problem.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are getting sucked into these poorly matched kits on Ebay, thinking they're getting a great deal. Instead, they have to spend more money to get a good working system.

I'm not sure that it's a terribly valid test though as the second run is at 185IPM, which is larger than the critical speed he had already established of 115IPM...
    Since it's my video you linked to, I'll comment.
    Without the damper, it wouldn't run any faster than 115ipm, and was stalling at that speed. Most of my cutting is done between 100-125ipm, and it's still running smoothly.
    The resonance on my router occurs at almost all rpm's. If a setscrew on a damper happens to come loose, it'll stall almost immediately.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The resonant frequency can vary greatly between motors, even with the same drives. Larger motors are more likely to be affected.
    It's unlikely that something is wrong with the steppers.

As suggested, Geckos would probably fix the problem.

Unfortunately, a lot of people are getting sucked into these poorly matched kits on Ebay, thinking they're getting a great deal. Instead, they have to spend more money to get a good working system.

Since it's my video you linked to, I'll comment.
    Without the damper, it wouldn't run any faster than 115ipm, and was stalling at that speed. Most of my cutting is done between 100-125ipm, and it's still running smoothly.
    The resonance on my router occurs at almost all rpm's. If a setscrew on a damper happens to come loose, it'll stall almost immediately.
    Haha, trust that Ger made the first video that comes up when I type 'stepper motor dampers' into Google!

After the explanation the 115IPM -> 185IPM thing makes sense, my 'science alarm' went off when I initially saw that the target speed had changed :-p

Thanks for lending your expertise as always Ger!

aarongough, thanks for your very helpful info/links. The motor I purchased from CNCRP did work, but I would prefer to go with the Gecko drivers like you suggested since it would be a cheaper way to go for me. The motors I'm using have a lower amp rating so replacing motors would also mean replacing power supplies. Ger21 has me a little concerned with putting the probably in Italic though...LOL Guess I'm going to have to research and think this through before I throw any more money away.

Ger21, obviously you are right about these poorly matched kits being sold, but after some goggle searches on this, it's not only the kits from Ebay that people have this trouble with. This infuriates me! As far as I'm concerned basically these drivers company's are selling are paper weights. I could except tolerating some vibration because of buying a cheaper model, but from what I understand is most likely it's missing steps which make these drivers garbage.

Once again thank you both for your valuable info and only hope this thread helps some other newbie starting out in this hobby like myself from making the same mistake.

Dan

Re: Nema 34HST9805-37 and DM860A Driver

Hello,

I know this is an old topic, but I just came up to the same problem.
    Have Nema 34 870 oz steppers and I am getting massive vibrations on 15 mm/sec. Cutting aluminium with microstepping from 1600 to 12800 makes no reasonable difference.
    Drivers are DM860A and all came in a package from longs motors from China. I have not room for adding motor dampers, but I want high precision machine.
    I was pretty fresh and I was going for "bigger is better" and came with this kit.
    Was thinking changing drivers, or changing motors, and get some 1:5 reduction.
    I was working on my Rack and Pinion solution for almost a month, thinking that was the problem.
    Any suggestion what to do?
    Going for Gecko drivers or going for smaller motors?

Thanks,

Marko

Hi Marko,

I purchased the same kit you did and experienced the same problem. My kit came with 2-250watt 24V PSU and often wondered if a higher voltage PSU would of helped. Don't know never tried. With some searching I read most resort to Gecko drivers. I purchased new 34nema steppers and PSU and my problem went away using the drivers and BOB that came with kit. The LongMotors steppers are still in there box they were delivered in.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I sort of solved issue. Ive put some smaller pinions and by that, increased the rotary speed. Will also go on reduction 1:5 to increase mechanical resolution 5 times.
    I have a 1x48 Volts power supply, and I think motors are pretty ok. When you have the time, you can test them, and get back here.
    I think I will sell my machine and make one for harder metals. Do you have any link or videos of your machine? I am very interested in Gecko drivers and motors.

Thank you.

Marko

Not sure if this thread is too old, but I am looking to CNC my Sieg SX3 mill - and have looked at various suppliers, and also saw this eBay offering from Long's Motors -

【Year-end Promotions】4axis nema34 stepper motor 878oz.in single shaft CNC Kit | eBay

which seemed good value for money - but I have seen some very negative comments and am now not quite so enthusiastic, but did wonder if perhaps it was worth buying just the motors and sourcing the drivers/power supply from elsewhere? The drivers are DM860A - not very good? Motors are 34HST9805-37B2?

I need Nema 34 7Nm (or 900oz/in) motors but am open about the rest of the setup but is seems like a bit of a minefield!

I can find suppliers who can find me all the components but with less powerful motors - 4Nm (or 500 oz/in) but want over 1,000 UKP for the similar setup

Thank in advance

Chris

On the power supply, you might try a stack of 12 volt batteries with a "mobility cart" charger that matches the stacked voltage. 36 volt chargers are common. I've seen 48 volt. Be sure to fuse well and often. And keep in a box to avoid acid, etc... in case of leaks. But you can't beat the current!

As to drivers, Gecko's are unbeatable. But if you want to save some money, you might try my THB6064AH kit. It's comparable for half the cost... and because you build it, you can fix it if you fry it (not likely, but anything can happen). The replacement chips are only $10.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Lopata,
    What is the current rating of the motor and what current is the drive set for. ?

Sometime people set the peak current instead of the RMS on the drive. The lower current setting may give you smoother motion.
    You are better running a lower current and a higher PS voltage, as you will get better high speed performance.

Also is that a single or dual stack motor size 34 motor ?
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

Thank you James - I have sent you an email message from the address on your website?

(Basically asking if your stepper driver would work with these motors, as far as current and voltage is concerned)

Regards

Chris

Thank you James, I have sent you an email from the address on your website - basically asking if your driver would be able to work with these motors

Chris

(apologies for double post, there is an error on the forum when you reply and I wasn't sure if the reply got sent!)

Page 1 of 2 12