584,866 active members*
5,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori Seiki ZL-15 info needed

I'm looking for the proper distance in both X axes from the spindle centerline to home position. I don't have a manual that gives this info. Can anyone out there help me out? I replaced the X2 belt and I'm trying to do my grid shift. Thanks!

The proper distance it the distance from the center line of a center cutting tool holder to the home switch.

Maybe my question was confusing... I want to know what the machine display should read when an I.D. holder is on center with the spindle.

Maybe my answer was confusing too. Move the X axis to and center a bore bar holder on the spindle. Note the readout on the DRO. Move the X axis to the home position switch. Note the readout on the DRO. The difference between these two numbers is the distance traveled between the spindle center line and the home position.

Right. I know what that distance is now, but I want to know what that distance is supposed to be. I can change it by doing a grid shift. Once I get that distance set with my grid shift, I should have the originally intended range of motion for that axis.

the 'factory set' distance is listed in the Machine Tool Builder's parameter list which is in the back of the Mori Seiki Wiring Diagram Manual which should be inside the control box at the rear of the machine. If you don't have that just set it to whatever number you got when you moved the turret from home to center line of spindle. It really doesn't matter if the numbers are out just slightly because when you set your tool geometry they will be correct to the center line anyway.
    Another way to set it is move from zero return and over-travel the slide. note the distance and subtract some distance from it and that should be fine. Maybe total slide movement minus 0.200" or 0.400"

The specs for that machine say ZL15 max turning diameter is 6.3". That is achieved with the tool bolted directly into the turret, not using a turning tool holder for use when turning closer to center when using the tailstock.

Perhaps just set the geometry for a standard turning tool then zero-return it. If the readout is near 6.3" then you have the factory spec. If not then just change whatever parameter is required in order to achieve 6.3" with a standard turning tool.

Note that the spec. allows for a small amount over that. I worked a ZL35 and the spec. says 390mm but it would zero return to ~400mm with a standard DWLNR 2525 WNMG turning tool bolted directly into the front turret. The rear turret with turning tool holder and same turning tool zero returned to ~350mm

Also your max stroke will be in one of the parameters, just look up your stored stroke limit parameters. You don't say which control you have. On the 15-series the parameters are 5220 to 5225. On 16/18/21 series it's 1320 to 1327.
    The numbers there may not relate to actual tool stroke (the 6.3") so may not be helpful.