585,906 active members*
3,746 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > 1990 VF1 Replaced CPU, now Alarm 158 Keyboard/ Video PCB

1990 VF1 Replaced CPU, now Alarm 158 Keyboard/ Video PCB

I was having a problem with the CPU on my 1990 VF1 and got a new board. On start up it says Version 8.31N 98-07-16.

I am getting an Alarm 158 Keyboard / Video PCB.

AND the jog handle is not working. (it was before the new CPU). At the pendant, with a meter it seems to be functioning. I have disconnected and reconnected the connection at the rear of the machine too.

I have checked to make sure that everything was reconnected in the correct place and it all seems to be.

I am wondering if it might just be a Parameter issue. There are many more parameters with the newer board.
    I did get the tool changer working (parameter adjustment) and can run a program.
    So, I could just hit reset and keep going EXCEPT for the Jog Handle not making anything move?

Any Parameter wizards out there? Or other ideas??

This is the last fix and I can get to making parts! I am chomping on the bit.
    thanks-

When you say CPU I presume you are talking about the main processor PCB correct?

More information is needed in order to help.

Is this a new processor that you bought from Haas or is this a used processor?

Who installed it?

Is the software version the same as your old processor?

Was the processor memory cleared after installation?

Was the processor initialized?

This is not always a simple plug and play board replacement. If some of the above steps were not followed, you may have other issues as well.

If you are changing software versions, there may be other complications as well regarding compatability.

Hey Chuck
    What problems you had b4 replacing board that you mention CPU problems?
    And are you talking about panel pulse generator or Remote pulse gen?
    Both are plugged to keyboard interface, just behind keypad.
    Robby

The previous owner of this machine had given up on getting it back to life.
    When I bought the machine the owner had worked with it for months and Haas had also been out. The main issue was a spindle drive fault that was a badly crimped wire. But the parameters would sometimes shift and I was getting CRC errors. The battery voltage on the ORIGINAL main processor PBC was at 3 volts which I believe was correct. The jog handle on the panel was working.

The REPLACEMENT processor board was one that came with the machine in a Haas box that had been opened and I think it was installed in this machine once before.

I did the installation, not a trained tech.

The software on the Original processor board was 1. something.

I did not clear the memory or initialize the processor.

There was one user installed program in the machine that I was able to dry run.

I had to adjust the parameter on the draw bar air delay to get the tool changer to work and it functions now.

I guess I was hoping it would be a plug and play option...

The reason you are getting alarm 158 Video / Keyboard PCB failure at power up is because the new processor that you installed is not compatible with the original video board. You needed to upgrade the video board to PN 93-1001, we sell a kit for machines with old software version 4.32 or older that includes the video board & the processor.

You should contact your local HFO to install the new video board, as they will not issue any warranty if is not installed by a certified service technician.

Regarding the problem with the handle jog not working maybe related to the video board, but check parameter 57 bit 24 Handle cursor to be set to 1.

Probably not what you were looking to hear, but I agree about calling in your HFO tech. They can make sure everything is compatable, adjust all the correct parameters and just as important, give you a warranty.

Good luck!

It is not the worst news. I just wanted to sort things as far as I could.
    At this point I only have one or two specific problems, not 5 random bad connections.

thanks

Cudo's for getting things as far as you have.

Good luck with the rest!

Now I am thinking I might try the install myself. I have been in and out of the back of this machine many times now.

Has anyone done the CPU and video board upgrade install on their own?

The newer CPU needed a wiring harness adapter and I am guessing that newer video board might be the same.

Any opinions ? Yeah or nay on continuing the DIY. I am trying to get up and going for less money but I know that can cost more sometimes!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckMTB View Post
    Now I am thinking I might try the install myself. I have been in and out of the back of this machine many times now.

Has anyone done the CPU and video board upgrade install on their own?

The newer CPU needed a wiring harness adapter and I am guessing that newer video board might be the same.

Any opinions ? Yeah or nay on continuing the DIY. I am trying to get up and going for less money but I know that can cost more sometimes!

thanks
    Based on your previous posts, I have no doubt you can do the work. But when it comes to the PCB's you may want to think twice about making it a DIY project and compare the cost vs risk factors.

As mentioned earlier, there will be no warranty with the PCB's unless you have a service tech install them. So you need to decide if you are willing to risk the cost of the boards vs a couple of hours for the service tech to install everything. Not only the warranty after the fact, but also during the install as you run the risk of static discharge damage to the board.

Although rare, you may even get a board that is bad out of the box. Then you are stuck arguing that you received it that way instead of you damaging it.

I am not sure what the processor and Video pcb package costs, but just weigh that against the install price and decide if it's worth the risk.

Good luck.

If your machine when you got it had 4 series software and you are trying to put in a processor that boots up with 8.31n you have a couple of problems. First the processor you think is new is not a new one. The 8.31n at boot up indicates that someone has loaded up 8.31N software on this board prior. This does not mean that the board is bad. However if your previous board had 4.32 software on it then that indicates that the video board is not compatible with a processor that has 8.31N software loaded on it. (the part number for the presumed new board is probably a (93-1010F off the top of my head). This board will work in this machine but only after you replace the video board. I personally have done this upgrade a number of times for various customers. If the software was loaded correctly on the new board and you have the correct video board then really all you have to do is initialize the software at boot up. This will load up a standard set of parameters for your machine. Since this machine uses a shot pin to orient the spindle you don't have to worry much about correct spindle orientation at tool change. You will have to adjust the z axis tool change offset in parameters. Usually you will get a few alarms that anybody at Haas or your HFO can walk you through.