585,602 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > How to: Multiple work offsets?

How to: Multiple work offsets?

I am self taught in Mastercam X2 and I only work in wire frame just in case that information is needed.

Anyway, the Question.

Is there a way to set multiple work offsets in Mastercam and have all my drawing on one file? Typically when I do a set-up, it will run multiple ops in one cycle so we can pull a finished part every cycle. Right now I am programing ever op individually, proving it out, and then going back and meshing the code together by hand to eliminate redundant tool changes and for example, have tool 1 run across all 3 or 4 vises with unique offsets, then tool 2 running on all ops that it is required, etc. instead of running tools 1-5 on one op, then re calling up tools 1,3 and 4 on the next op for example.

I figure there has got to be an easier way of doing this than copy and pasting bits of code from individual programs and doing a little editing in between. When dealing with 3 or 4 ops it really isn't that bad, but my current project has 8 and it is a bit time consuming.

Sorry if I didn't explain that very well. Let me know if you have any questions and I am looking forward to any responses.

Thanks for reading!

Garrett

work offsets

I have worked a little in mcam x but mostly in 9.0 . if they are similar all you do after each operation is done , drill ,conture pocket ETC you choose a tool and a dialog box opens where you type your feeds and speeds job number ref height and z depth ect. look around for a button that has T/C plane click that and another box opens look in bottom left corner and you'll see work offset check that box and you'll be able to change the number to the right. 0=g54 1=g55 2=g56 and so on you'll see those numbers 0123ect on your operation manager page for each op. and all should be correct after you post the program -Chris-

Thanks for the response Chris! I will look for that when I go in tomorrow, sadly, I don't have MC at home or I would look now. What about setting different origins? Otherwise I would have a bunch of lines stacked on top of each other.

Thanks again! :]

You can access all this information in WCS Manager. You can copy and rename WCS, Cplanes, and Tplanes, change between WCS, and move WCS to new origin. If you want more assistance with this, ask back here.

I place every operation in the same file, as well. Normally, I'll add a new machine for every op on that machine tool and then use groups to group the cutting operations around the feature being machined. When you want to set up new origins or Work offsets I find it easiest to start by working in the View Manager dialog.