585,752 active members*
4,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > BPS (Blocks Per Sec.)

BPS (Blocks Per Sec.)

I have a Haas gantry and I tried the high speed machining with the g187 code. This then creates an alarm 178 (not divisible by zero). My problem is that when I talked to Haas tech, they asked if my cad cam system sent the program to the machine faster than 1000 BPS or not? Because this would create the error. I then talked to shopware mastercam tech and they didn't understand what that would have to do with anything because I run it from machine memory. How do I calculate what my BPS is and how can I change that? thank you for any help I get with this problem.

I think you need to be asking this in the Haas Mill forum it is a machine issue not a CAM issue. Ken Foulks is probably the one who will get the answer.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I do not think your divisible by zero error has anything to do with "blocks per second" of program transfer. How you transfer a program from a PC to your machine should have nothing to do with errors in program execution. You need to look at the program in the machine and see if it transferred cleanly and correctly. You need to look at the program lines before and after the error occurs. If there is a problem with "blocks per second" in program execution, it will be a problem in the machine control not being able to read and execute the lines of the program quickly enough. This could be that you are linearizing arcs in very small increments which is creating more lines of code than the control can handle during operation in high speed. Try running the program without G187.

I would take out the g187 and i would get facetting on my finnish witch then i am running to few data points. right?

What you responded with leads me to believe you have your CAM program to output lines segments instead of arcs. This is called linearization of arcs. When you linearize an arc, it takes a lot more lines of G-code. If you have more lines of G-code than the control can execute, you will get errors. Change your settings in your CAM software to output arcs instead of line segments and you probably will eliminate your errors.

Making more data points will not correct the problem you are having using high speed machining on your control.

You do have the option to NOT use high speed machining and make your data points more (smaller line segments) to eliminate the faceting.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I think you need to be asking this in the Haas Mill forum it is a machine issue not a CAM issue. Ken Foulks is probably the one who will get the answer.
    It is definitely a machine issue. But, its solution might be with the CAM because he may be attempting to run the machine beyond its designed limits.

To do a rough calculation on blocks per second, take the programmed feed rate and divide by 60 to get the machine travel for one second. Then look in the program and figure out how many blocks it take to move that distance.

Which Haas Gantry is it and how fast are you trying to run it?
    Are you using the MPmaster post or a post from the guys at shopware?

Does the error come on right away ? lets say right after the HS code comes in to play.
    And we know for sure that the HS look ahead option is set for 1 in the control?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

high speed machining help

I have a gr712. I think it's about a 2006. I have been in contact with Haas and they explained that I have 200 hr. free to try and was told that if i didn't load my g187 that the clock would stop. Now I find out that it was ticking the whole time. I may be out of my free hr. but I'm not giving up. I also have ss vf2 and vf4 machines that have the feacher from purchase and I don't have a problem with the post or programs when run them. Only when I load them in the gantry. This is why I feel it is in the machine settings or outside the capabilities of the machine itself. Haas said it should all work though so I may just invite them to come in and show me instead of all my trial and error. some of the feeds I would like to run are about 175 IPM but some of my parts i need to slow down to under 30 IPM so it can hold the radius and contour dimensions on the part.

I would have them out and all so talk with them if someone there did not tell you that once you start the trial it goes until you turn it off or the 200 hours is over. Maybe you can get them to renew it, MAYBE. I have used this gantry with the high speed and really did not like the performance compared to the others like the VF2 and 4. How long has it been turned on?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

thanks

I don't know the exact time it has ran with the HSM on, but I turned it off now and am thinking the same thing. They may help me out if they want the sale... that is what I was also thinking too, I don't know how well this application will work for me, that is why I was hoping for a big improvement in Finnish or at leased just faster feed rate and hold the tolerance. most are +/- 0.005" some go down to +/-0.002. I cut non ferrous metals and plastic so I can run a lot faster with the slower spindle speed.