584,879 active members*
4,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Who else is running DeskCNC?

I have run DeskCNC for some time now
    though I'm sure I'm not using it to it's fullest.

I was wondering how many others here are running it.

I have been using for a few years. I agree with you about not using to its potential, and there is very little info about using it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCE View Post
    I have been using for a few years. I agree with you about not using to its potential, and there is very little info about using it.
    Indeed

I think it has real potential to be a top notch
    product but trying to get the info is rough.

A decent manual would really make this product shine.

my older router runs DeskCNC, basically works well but when G-codes made using RhinoCam then arc or circle comes strange multifaceted, this is bit headache. And of course old story with acceleration-deacceleration (I use servo motors) , I mean when higher speed and abrupt angles then it shakes like mad and now way to make it smoother. I have no idea what soft I have, cant find documents anymore. Bought this 4 axis one somewhat five years ago from IMService. Surelly some newer version soft is available but do I need then to buy a new board or not ... I dont know. Week ago tried to find some useful info about but found only years old posts about from deskcnc forums. Nice to meet you - "fellow victims" - perhaps we find out something,
    At least myself I dont want just to throw away this DerskCNC,
    cheers,
    herbert

added few pictures about 4-th axis I made last weekend using DeskCNC,
    look at multifaceted inner curved surface on the second photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1871.jpg   IMG_1873.jpg   IMG_1878.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Herbertkabi View Post
    my older router runs DeskCNC, basically works well. When G-codes made by RhinoCam then arc or circle comes strange multifaceted, this is bit headache. And of course old story with acceleration-deacceleration (I use servo motors) , I mean when higher speed and abrupt angles then it shakes like mad and now way to make it smoother. I have no idea what soft I have, cant find documents anymore. Bought this 4 axis one somewhat five years ago from IMService. Surelly some newer version soft is available but do I need then to buy a new board or not ... I dont know. Week ago tried to find some useful info about but found only years old posts about from deskcnc forums. Nice to meet you - "fellow victims" - perhaps we find out something,
    At least myself I dont want just to throw away this DerskCNC,
    cheers,
    herbert
    I under stand the fellow victims feeling.

It is a shame, because I really think it has potential but
    Honestly I'm afraid to spend any more money with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
    I under stand the fellow victims feeling.

It is a shame, because I really think it has potential but
    Honestly I'm afraid to spend any more money with them.
    I do not feel any shame,
    Faster Im proud with,
    It works.
    cheers,
    herbert

I have contacted Deck cnc on a couple of issues and he's great with his responses. He even updated made a desk cncversion so I could run a circle centering file as a start macro. My new question is the speed keys. I see where I can put in the command just not sure what key is the speed key, or how to set it.

I have contacted Deck cnc on a couple of issues and he's great with his responses. He even updated made a desk cncversion so I could run a circle centering file as a start macro. My new question is the speed keys. I see where I can put in the command just not sure what key is the speed key, or how to set it.
    Yes He himself seems decent, and I do like the program.

Maybe it was just when I went to access the support forum
    I was told there is a charge (Imservice, who I bought it through).

Quote Originally Posted by Harry_Y View Post
    Yes He himself seems decent, and I do like the program.

Maybe it was just when I went to access the support forum
    I was told there is a charge (Imservice, who I bought it through).
    I would rather buy a breakout board and a license for mach 3 then the fees for support forum. I have considered it numerous times.

I would rather buy a breakout board and a license for mach 3 then the fees for support forum. I have considered it numerous times.
    That's pretty much where I am.

I was ready to buy a second board then had second thoughts.

Trouble is I like the software, I just wish we had better support

I do like the software and the ease of use, and 90% of it is self explanatory.
    It surprises me how inactive this forum is on deskcnc. You would think there would be more people with questions.

I have been using DeskCNC for going on 6 years now, it has its limits but has a ton of potential too. I have tried just about all of its capabilities besides 4th axis and they all work great.

A new manual would be nice, or a different way to set up acceleration/decel curves and such.

So far I have done:

2.5D, 3D from .stl, 3D digitizing with a probe (easy and works great!) tool length offsets with a tool height setter, full spindle control with a VFD, Optical home switches (accurate home switches are a MUST!!), Lithophanes and carvings, Speed key macros (fast way to get the bit out of your work space after a routine, or get the bit to a 0 offset for a fixture), I use the G27 command to check for lost steps when ramping up cutting speeds, Peck drilling is very easy to do even though its not part of the user interface, engraving using only Deskcnc, Wall profiles in 2D parts ...really the sky is the limit if you put in enough time to learn it.

I think Fred from IMservice stopped giving free support because 90% or more of peoples questions had already been answered to death on his forum, and were mostly just asked because the lack of information in the manual.

Thats a 3D probe scan of a Quarter, with a 1mm ruby ball on the probe. .003" stepover.

And the good ol' teapot .Stl, micro sized in Delrin

Nice to see you here Herbert! I had no idea from your posts on Rcgroups you had DeskCNC running a machine.

Dylan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grill.jpg   captive1.jpg   1mmquarter.jpg   cnc 001.jpg  

Look at the attached image,

g00 z0 x0 y0 is the F1 key
    g00 z-6 x24 y48 is F2
    g27 x0 y0 z0 f20 is F3 and so on.

If you want G00 z0 x0 y0 on F1 just make sure its at the top of the list.

To add a new macro type it in the box, select where in the stack of macro's you want it and hit add. It will be the F key corresponding to the order of the list.

To use them just click the MDI box (or select whats in the MDI box) and hit the F key you want and hit enter. Its that easy.

Dylan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Desk.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Dylwad View Post
    Look at the attached image,

g00 z0 x0 y0 is the F1 key
    g00 z-6 x24 y48 is F2
    g27 x0 y0 z0 f20 is F3 and so on.

If you want G00 z0 x0 y0 on F1 just make sure its at the top of the list.

To add a new macro type it in the box, select where in the stack of macro's you want it and hit add. It will be the F key corresponding to the order of the list.

To use them just click the MDI box (or select whats in the MDI box) and hit the F key you want and hit enter. Its that easy.

Dylan
    Thanks. I would have never thought of that.

Thanks. I would have never thought of that.
    Its in the manual, page 5, clear as mud

Dylan

Howdy Dylan,
    Yes, I use DeskCNC with one of my mill, works near every day for me,
    And why not to use when once bought
    Many have nothing, even not this, far from other kind of stuff or soft
    My question was about acceleration-deceleration, its too sudden when using bit higher speed and cutting brusc angles. I have tried machine setup with not any success, perhaps I have inserted totally wrong figures ...
    And faceted surface when curved cut ... is it because DeskCNC does not understand RhinoCam ??? I dont remenber exact what cam I used before, tried many, but before there was not such kind of multifaceted look.
    There are many thing I can do bu also many thing where I feel myself totally helplessly because do not understand. With Mach3 I have even more problems
    Life is life.
    cheers,
    herbert

ps:
    yesterday made such kind knobs from plastic,
    in reality they are not so furry as no the picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1879.jpg  

I want to make sure people don't think that I'm
    giving DeskCNC a bad rap, I really like the program.

I just would like a good manual so I can use it to it's fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbertkabi View Post
    Howdy Dylan,
    Yes, I use DeskCNC with one of my mill, works near every day for me,
    And why not to use when once bought
    Many have nothing, even not this, far from other kind of stuff or soft
    My question was about acceleration-deceleration, its too sudden when using bit higher speed and cutting brusc angles. I have tried machine setup with not any success, perhaps I have inserted totally wrong figures ...
    And faceted surface when curved cut ... is it because DeskCNC does not understand RhinoCam ??? I dont remenber exact what cam I used before, tried many, but before there was not such kind of multifaceted look.
    There are many thing I can do bu also many thing where I feel myself totally helplessly because do not understand. With Mach3 I have even more problems
    Life is life.
    cheers,
    herbert

ps:
    yesterday made such kind knobs from plastic,
    in reality they are not so furry as no the picture
    What is the time have for a value under the acceleration profile in the machine velocity tab in machine setup. Is possible to do a print screen and copy into wordpad or paint of the Machine velocity tab and the axis setup tab? It would help to see what values you are using.

What is the time have for a value under the acceleration profile in the machine velocity tab in machine setup. Is possible to do a print screen and copy into wordpad or paint of the Machine velocity tab and the axis setup tab? It would help to see what values you are using.
    hi HCE,
    Sorry, I was in workshop for making some parts I need tomorrow morning.
    Added photo about some of I milled and about machine conf. setup what I think is random right now because I did not detect any changes when tried to change something ... last time I tried was several years ago
    Very misruled?

cheers,
    herbert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1883.jpg   IMG_1884.jpg   IMG_1886.jpg   IMG_1887.jpg  

IMG_1888.jpg   IMG_1889.jpg  

Well I kept having trouble till I pulled back my max velocity to to 65000 sps. This helped tremendously on consistency. If my machine is warm, clean, and smooth it will handle 84000, but it does not take long cutting for it to get dirty. My acceleration time is .465 and you can hear it accelerate on fast moves. I also left my contouring at 1, 0 would force to decelerate from start velocity on all moves. My take on the contouring is the higher the number the less likely it is to decelerate. Turning my top speed down may be a crutch for other problems, but it works.
    Right know your theoretical top speed is 74 mm per sec, dropping to 74000 steps would be 65 mm per sec. Fast transits are cool but not stalling is even better.
    If you are stalling I would drop the top speed. If it is just the way it accelerates I would put contouring back to 0 or 1. If the machine does not decelerate the is no reason for it to accelerate. I would say the acceleration scale is plenty as you have almost a full second to hit top speed.
    Most important make sure to note all fields before making any changes.

One more thing your start velocity is 7.5 mm per sec so any feed under this there is no acceleration.

Page 1 of 2 12